Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan since it's anthropogenic in origin,

I used to go out with a girl named Anthropogenic but she spelled it with a small A. Susan anthropogenic. Yep, that was her. :rolleyes:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at amino's as carbon dosing plus nitrate dosing plus trace elements in one.

Not a fan since it's anthropogenic in origin, but if it suits your goals...! :) :)
I do not understand this...do you have a thread that discusses this?
I not wish to discuss it here and bring up bad memories for Paul. This is his thread after all.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think she had any human friends :rolleyes:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M I'll keep this short: :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid

The key elements of an amino acid are carbon (C), hydrogen (H), oxygen (O), and nitrogen (N), although other elements are found in the side chains of certain amino acids.

Also a reefy explanation...
Sounds like a pretty new tank, so these comments are made with that in mind....let me know if that's not corrrect. :)

And bear with me on these thoughts... :D

Real nutrient levels are dictated by the amount of food you put into the system.

The amount of food you put into the system is dictated by the type and quantity of livestock you keep in the tank.

Both of those ideas are easy to lose when designing "nutrient control".​

If you plan for it to be a coral dominated system, then that should mean that they get priority over noopox, algae scrubbers, fish load, gfo and everything else.

"Dominant"

This isn't merely a saying or catch-phrase...or at least it doesn't have to be.

You really do want corals to dominate - with a supporting bio-load of fish and other critters.

To "dominate" in this way means that the coral's carbon stream (mainly their mucus) needs to anchor as much of the food web in your reef as possible.

You can implement this deliberately.

But not by injecting carbon sources from human and algae-sources into the picture nor by using media/filtration to trick your test kits into saying "low nutrient" when nothing overall is really low nutrient.

Many folks short-circuit their goal of "coral dominant" in two ways:

The first is by crushing the tank with a huge bio-load of fish before anything...making it "fish dominant".

The second is by crushing it with a load of chemical media and non-coral carbon sources...making it "bacterially dominant". (Check out: Global microbialization of coral reefs)

Coral additions to a new tank, in contrast, are usually meek and mostly an after-thought as far as tank health, if they are even considered.

That approach "can work"....but it's obviously not the direct route. (Nor is it the easy route.)​

So if "coral dominant" is really a goal, those other carbon sources (human, algae, etc), if used at all, should come later after corals really have been allowed to become dominant in your reef.

It may be worth stating that fish are optional to a reef. They can help or hurt the ease of care and stability factors.

"More fish" too soon makes the tank more difficult to balance...fewer fish make it easier...especially at the beginning when there's such a narrow microbial base to make use of nutrients....mostly bacterial and algae.

This narrow microbial base combined with a large influx of fish nutrients leaves a lot of room for pests and instability. (Sound like any new tank stories you've read about?)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, getting back to my tank move, the thing is moved and it is doing great. Most of the algae is gone with no help from me and there is nothing growing in my algae scrubber (because it is dying) Some day, if I get time I will drive on the beach and collect 30 gallons of water in case I want to change water.
Today we have to go to some Doctors in the old neighborhood so I will be able to get to my LFS for some corals and fish. I keep mostly small, nerdy, interesting, girly, man/sissy fish so I can fit a lot of them in there. I may also pick up some food while I am there but my white worm culture is still going strong and I think it may be five years old. It's hard to get black worms here but my fish are an equal opportunity eater and will eat any worm. I just want them for the bacteria. I also have not collected much in the way of amphipods this year as we have been busy and the 9 times we went out on the boat it seemed to be high tide and amphipods don't sun bathe at high tide.

All the corals are fully extended and the sponges bounced back and grew quite a but since the move 3 months ago.
The algae cycle lasted about three months which is about normal. As long as you don't mess with the tank, don't add things or do anything silly like change water, the algae will get bored and leave. No need to add sea hares, snails, urchins, duck billed platypuses or manatees.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,

Do you use filter socks? I know you use diatom filter. Would you say using diatom filter few times a month would eliminate the need for filter socks? filter socks are pain but in my opinion effective.

Glad your tank is doing well, post more pictures please.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
I vaguely remember how you set up flow into the upflow Plenum. I do remember flow was minimal, but nothing specific. Was your ATS connected to the rfug filter?

I recently set up my 120G tank by mimicking what you did 47 years ago. I used a maxi jet at 300 GPHr over 8 square feet of filter bed with 2” of CaribSea aroggonite, Special reef grade between 0.1 & 1 mm. When I initially aquascaped, I hid the pump in the tank. Unfortunately, when pump failed I was not initially aware of it until my substrate had indigestion with a shift to anorobic bacteria. I modified piping so that pump was accessible for easy maintenance. This pump failure at a critical major part of biological filter which feeds the tank by recycling nutrients highlights my issue with oxygen. Because I lived in hurricane country for my whole life, I find myself leaning toward an uninterrupted power supply system. At my last residence, because of numerous power outages in rural co-op, I installed a 15KW generator that ran on propane of which I had a 500G tank.

Considering the amount of bacteria consuming oxygen 24/7 in our sandbeds, oxygen is my number 1 parameter to design around. In the case of electrical failure, I am in process of installing 12V battery banks on back porch and running uninterrupted 12VDC supply to an inverter with a modified sine wave to run three small pumps at 50W total. It was my thought to run pumps thru inverter continuously with no switching devices to fail. Battery charger maintains 13VDC battery banks which supply inverter to run pumps. When AC power is lost, the battery banks continue to supply inverter, the only change being that battery banks are no longer being charged up. Are Maxijet 1200 pumps ok with continuous operation on a modified sine wave?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Subsea. Yes, my RUGF was connected to my algae scrubber. It isn't now, but it will be as soon as I get time.
I run my UG filter slow and so far I never had any issues when the power went out sometimes for days. Maybe it is due to my gravel being large, I have no idea but it doesn't seem to matter. I can access my in tank pump easy. I just pull up on the wire and it comes up.

I use a whole bunch of car batteries for my tank. I don't have them connected to anything, I just sit on them. :rolleyes:
My generator is not connected here so if the power goes out, I will have to DIY it real quickly, but that is no problem, I can do it through Osmosis. :confused:

I think one of those Chinese pumps will run on any type of power, just my opinion.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming along. My good friend came over today and gave me a pair of blue striped pipefish (which my Janss pipefish will probably have for lunch) and a bunch of corals. All is doing well.
He also tested my water because I don't have any Sissy test kits. Nitrates are zero, salinity is 25, calcium is 450 and Po4 is almost zero. But it i9s all new water from the sea. It is just 3 months old and I haven't changed any yet. Whats the sense?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We have been married for 44 years (I think) She is my starter wife. :D

You should have seen her at 18. How could I not marry her. :)

I can't believe she married a Lug Nut like me. :rolleyes:

Ed, I don't use any of that store bought nonsense. I built a manifold that goes to all three UG plates and one pump runs it. There isn't enough gravel in the tank yet to turn the thing on and it is probably more important that I figure out the temperature before everything croaks. But the tank is my least concern right now. :cool:

That's a keeper. Happy for you my friend

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great looking tank and I always had thoughts of utilizing water from the ocean. Nice to see what the effect is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back