Moving a fish to a bigger tank?

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty angelfish that I am trying to move to a larger tank. He is very skittish, and in a reef tank, so I would rather not tear the whole thing down to catch him. I have tried baiting the net and putting it in his favorite hiding spots. Moving him is very important. I got him when I was just starting off in the hobby and a friend told me he would be fine in the tank size I had (she overstocked her tank and gave him to me). Now that I am more experienced I know that he needs a bigger tank which I now have for him. Does anyone have any ideas on how to safely move him without tearing down my tank?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Try waiting until the tank and room is dark for a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight, locate the fish and then keep the light in its eyes. The light will mesmerize the fish making it usually easy to net the fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap would be the least stressful for everyone, but you have to buy or make one.

The "high and dry" method works well for angels. Drain all the water except for a few inches, then net him out. This is easy in a small tank.

Kimber1290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap would be the least stressful for everyone, but you have to buy or make one.

The "high and dry" method works well for angels. Drain all the water except for a few inches, then net him out. This is easy in a small tank.
Yes on the fish trap. It was a good investment.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back