Moving a giant monti

Hunter1036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m buying a 12” by 10” monti from a guy for 100$. First I️ was wondering if this is a pretty good deal or not and second I️ need some tips on how to get it back to my house without breaking it all. Any advice and wisdom will he helpful! I’ve moved reef tanks before but never a coral this big or fragile
IMG_7560.jpg
IMG_7559.jpg

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really nice show piece! Seems like a good price also. I have never personally moved a coral that big but would suggest one of those styrofoam cools and some bubble wrap and a second set of hands to hole while driving with it.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first tip: is update ya iPhone so you don't have to deal with that symbol anymore lol.

second tip: maybe a garbage can or brute storage container? drive very gingerly..

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If it were me I would get a container ( lowes plastic tubs? )that has 4"-5" room all the way around it and deep enough for a few inches of water over it.
Have a person that can sit and hold it upright the whole trip in the car.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a monti that large is going to be difficult without breakage. My suggestion is to get a large brute can then use other rocks to wedge the base rock in place. That can help secure it in place. We did that moving our monti colonies. Either way it's gonna be tough and heavy. That is a good price as well.

OP
OP
Hunter1036

Hunter1036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ have a brute trash can I️ can use. With some sand to hold it down. Would that work?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it will still be top heavy but better than nothing. Anything to wedge on the sides of the base rock the coral is on should help. Wet sand will be difficult to move as well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far are you going? I used to take some purple rim cap into the LFS when it got to 12" around. The best way that I found was to have somebody hold it in their lap by the base with a plastic grocery sack over it to keep the breeze away. I was only going 12-15 minutes, though - it was always a very long 12-15 minutes. It would slime but was always OK.

In water, they would always break up a bunch. Bubble wrap around the bottom perimeter will keep it more upright and protect it a bit. Some of bottom plates would break with the bubble wrap, but I always though that was better than the top. I used to cut 4" strip and do two times around and then secure it with a stainless safety pin rather than tape.

Good luck.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the use of a rather large container rather than a bag. I would ask a very careful friend to hold both the coral and container stable during the ride so it does not move around and hit the sides. Holding the coral by the base with it upside down in the water may work. You will likely get some SW splash; keep some towels handy. Tell us how it goes and what technique you use. For a worse case scinario, you will have some fags.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use a styro box large enough to hold the coral. I'd only put 3 or 4 inches of water in the box (this cuts down on weight and lessens the effect of the coral damage by being sloshed around by a lot of water). I'd cover the coral with wet bath towels. I'd stuff wet bath towels between the edges of the coral and the sides of the box. I've done this in the past with a good sized M. Cap and had minimal breakage on a 45 minute from-tank-to-tank move. YMMV... Then, I'd launder the towels before my SO noticed they were missing...

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in a large container and don't fill it with much water, it's easier to hold and pour water over it for the whole ride. They always break in large containers of water even with someone holding it. The driver always goes to fast over bumps or corners.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved a 16x18x8high Hollywood stunner last year and drove it 60 miles to a swap. Big brute or robbermaid, support it from shifting with air bags and styrofoam, but still expect breakage.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back