How long can a monti go without light?

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one month. ONE MONTH

I have a monti I am trying to kill. Dont judge me; its encrusting, its getting close to some nice SPS colonies, and I have already fragged it many times.

Removing it is not possible. it's too big to cover with glue. So I covered it with silicon mat and zip tied the mat down.

it is still alive after one month. Not only alive, it still has COLOR.

Any tips, advice, lights at the end of the tunnel would be helpful...not sure how long I need to cover it or if I am missing something

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
one month. ONE MONTH

I have a monti I am trying to kill. Dont judge me; its encrusting, its getting close to some nice SPS colonies, and I have already fragged it many times.

Removing it is not possible. it's too big to cover with glue. So I covered it with silicon mat and zip tied the mat down.

Any tips, advice, lights at the end of the tunnel would be helpful...not sure how long I need to cover it or if I am missing something
@billyocean has done this recently, maybe he has tips for eliminating encrusting montis

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one month. ONE MONTH

Do you have a picture of it so I know what not to buy?

Couple of suggestions.
One is to put Favia on top of it….
Another did you try to chisel it off? I manager to yank few montis from rock by getting under them and peeling them off. But I get it there are different types and some get lot more attached to the rocks.

Killing it in tank might create issue down the line as it decomposes and pollutes the water etc… Removal is the better option.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Rennurdoar just watched your most recent youtube video, your green octospawn on the left has FAT tentacles.
Yeah it does, I miss the princess peach that used to be beside it. It's tentacles got fat also. Same with the two hammers, mid day they're huge from expanding so much!

I'm waiting for our mushrooms to decide to bounce and bubble up like that too haha.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of it so I know what not to buy?

Couple of suggestions.
One is to put Favia on top of it….
Another did you try to chisel it off? I manager to yank few montis from rock by getting under them and peeling them off. But I get it there are different types and some get lot more attached to the rocks.

Killing it in tank might create issue down the line as it decomposes and pollutes the water etc… Removal is the better option.
It looks just like a red monti. Yellow polyps. I believe it was sold as a "tyree setting sun monti"

It its not chisel able. its part of the rockwork. My tank is large, if it decomposes its not a problem

its not removeable...its encrusted onto the rock. I have been removing all my encrusting montis and any bit left behind will rapidly spread, even in shade.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one month. ONE MONTH

I did exactly this, zip tied 1mm thick black silicone sheet over it. For 4 weeks. It was bleached out but bounced back…

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 2 months. Still has color. I cant remove the rock. It is under/surrounded by delicate SPS. I think I am just going to let it ride then maybe put some hammer corals on top for a little.

I am considering buying that silly laser to kill aiptasia and use it to blast the monti. Then I'll also have an aitpasia laser.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back