Moving reef tank

devin.reed2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving to a new apartment across the street and was wondering if these steps were necessary when I’m moving my tank.

1. Is it necessary to change the sand bed after the move? I’ve heard different opinions for why you should change it and wasn’t sure. I’ll be able to keep some water in the tank to keep the sand damp and it'll probably take 20min or so before I am able to put water back in from the time of draining.

2. Does GSP need to be taken off back glass or can it stay be exposed for 20min?

3. Will live rock be okay out of water for the move? I’m planning to keep some of it in the tank as I have glued together a few arches (I’m afraid it’ll break if I take it out).

Cheers

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! I’ve moved my 75g many times. I’ve always kept my live rock/corals in large coolers, submerged in tank water. The sand bed I’ve left as undisturbed as possible. I’ve had Palys on the back wall for a couple of these moves and had no issue. Careful with anything you leave in the tank not toppling and cracking the glass.

I’ve never had an issue with moving other than how surprisingly heavy that wet and can be.

I hope it all goes smoothly!

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your removing your live rock it's worth replacing or rinsing the sand.

Gsp should be fine as long as it doest dry out completely. I have left polyps and zoa's out for hours without issues

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back