Moving a JBJ 45

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently have found out that my JBJ 45 is causing a slight sag in the floor in my upstairs bedroom. I just had a couple questions before I acted

1) the footprint of the stand is 26.5” x 22”, while my joists, at least for the ground floor, are 14.5” apart. Would moving it from parallel to perpendicular even help much? Or do I just have to downsize the tank?

2) my plan to move it is to try to get ~15 gallons of saltwater mixed ready and then drain the tank into 5g buckets and put all of the live rock / corals / anemones and fish in the buckets as well. I’d leave the sand in the tank. I’d then take a handcart and try to use that to slide it under the tank and move it across the room. I’ll have a helper with glass suction cups to help me keep the tank in place while it’s on the stand.

is this an acceptable method, or is there a better way to move the tank?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to put something larger under the stand to distribute the weight over a larger area?

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to put something larger under the stand to distribute the weight over a larger area?
I didn’t think of that! Would something like a piece of wood work? I am planning on moving it to the cubby area (all the way to the right so I can walk and get behind the tank) in this photo. I do have a cut piece of wood that matches the footprint of a 40B and I could definitely put something like that under it.
Stupid question but Would it evenly distribute the load over the whole area?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 28

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a 20 gallon tank recently, and I know it was smaller then yours, but this might help. We put those furniture moving slides under the four corner of the stand (dresser). After removing about half the water my wife and I slowly slid the dresser to the new location and put the water back in. Very easy this way.

I don't think a piece of plywood will help you in this situation.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood will work. It has to be thick so it does not flex and should span 3 joists instead of the 2 you have now.
(if I read your post correctly)

Back