Moving and need info

TORMENTOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am being transferred to Kentucky in the next few weeks and need to take my 75 gallon tank down, my fish have been sold and now I need to know the best way to store my live rock.
I wont be able to set the tank up right away so I will have die off and I expect that, so no big deal, My question is, what is the best way to store it for a few months? I have about 120lbs of live rock. I have a 30 gallon tub in m garage that I was thinking of just putting it in until I can set it up again.
What's your take on this? Also will it begin to smell rancid after a while?

Thanks

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this may not be the correct thing to do but.....I have kept live rock living and growing with just an atinic one bulb 10 gallon acquarium light (the kind from Wal-Mart) placed across a plastic 30 gallon rectangular storage container with one powerhead for over a year! Coraline algae grew, some sponges, green leafy stuff and some red grape algae all grew. The container sat on the fireplace hearth and I only added tap water. After about 6 months I realized I had two sea urchins and a mantis shrimp! Never did anything else, no water changes no additives of any kind. I just kept the powerhead running and added tap water. Good luck....see I told you it might not be the correct thing but it worked for me.

I have just inherited about 120 lbs of rock from a friend and guess where it is!!!!
Debbie

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and keep it in the tote it'll work fine. If you can keep a light on it so be it, if not it'll be just like cooking the live rock to get rid of algae. You'll have clean nitrate free and algae free live rock to start over at your new place. Which ever way it might stink a little but I wouldn't worry about that. When I have done it Deb's way or the cooking way the smell goes away after a short period. I don't think Deb's way is wrong at all, its sounds good to me.. Good luck at the new place..

JR,

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as long as there is a powerhead and it stays submerged it will be fine, Rich. If you an put a small light on there you will keep some of your coraline, but if not it will not hurt the rock. Sorry you had to break it down and move, but maybe you will be able to set it up with a remote sump in your new place and do away with a lot of the noise that bothered you before.

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks JR! I have never noticed any bad smell while the rock was in the container. I would get a little noise from the powerhead, that was my signal that I needed to add water! To tell the truth, I was amazed the matis shrimp lived, like I said, I never put any kind of food in the container. Debbie

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just keep it in the tub. Put a WalMart light and a powerhead on it. Do a small water change when you can remember it. I think you'll be fine.

PLNelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on everything. Make sure you get as much flow around those rocks as possible. Good luck.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back