Moving Anemone

Blackice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an anemone and black I’ve clownfish for around 10 months to a year, and ever since I have had them the anemone has been stuck to one spot in the rock that he seemed to have liked. But, when I woke up this morning he was on the other side of the tank! Is this normal, and will he eventually find another spot, or should I worry?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do move around from time to time. The big concern is if they get up in the water column and get sucked into a powerhead. I've seen folks have anemones stay in one place forever while others move every few months.

It will eventually find another spot and stay there for a while :)

OP
OP
Blackice

Blackice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. I have already anemone proofed my Powerhead. I just wanted to make sure something wasn’t wrong because he was my first coral I’ve ever had.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, they're not corals but rather relatives of corals.

They can move when they're stressed, but if the color looks good and it's inflating as in the past, it just decided to look for a new house :)

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your water parameters. Also, if you're using T5s, check to see if they need to be changed. If conditions remain optimal, they rarely move. Something caused it to do so. Nothing to worry about, but definitely look into why.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently removed my BTA’s but it always seemed to me they would stay put and grow, once they got to a certain size they seemed to move to an area more appropriate for their larger size.

OP
OP
Blackice

Blackice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do a water change on Monday, but I do one weekly and it usually doesn’t bother him.

His bubbles are still inflated and he is still keeping his colors stable.

My parameters are
Ph-8.2
Nitrate-2
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Calcium-440
Dkh-8

He is now going close to back where he was to begin with, so I guess he just wanted to take a stroll and get new scenery.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your #s look good but as mentioned flow, lighting and even minute fluctuations in params can bother them. Of the nine I have I have one that wonders and have to check on him/her/it on a daily basis. We've nick-named it "Komi" (as in Komikazi) as it's tried to climb into powerheads & overflows and had to be rescued multiple times.

OP
OP
Blackice

Blackice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use different salt? Were parameters the same in the new water?

Glad he settled and looks better.
I used the same salt( Fritz) and parameters were the same before the water change.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back