Moving Bubble Tip Anemones

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am finally ready to move my remaining livestock to a larger tank. I have two RBTA’s that I need to move, but the rocks they are on are covered in stuff I don’t want in my new tank. Lots of algae, haven’t seen any Aiptasia yet. How do I move them? Do I try to remove them from the rocks, or try to scrub the rocks?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the nems?

Got a few options.

Not great option 1, very carefully chisel away at the rock until you can safely remove them with only a bit of rock attached to the foot.

Hasn't worked for me option 2:

Some say you can hang anenomes upside down and they will eventually release. I've always gotten uncomfortable at about the 45 minute mark and abandoned this.

Best option IMO, make yourself an @Eagle_Steve nem cannon as seen below. They work!
PXL_20210713_211653273.jpg

OP
OP
Squeven

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both anemones are about 3 inches, split last week.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the nems?

Got a few options.

Not great option 1, very carefully chisel away at the rock until you can safely remove them with only a bit of rock attached to the foot.

Hasn't worked for me option 2:

Some say you can hang anenomes upside down and they will eventually release. I've always gotten uncomfortable at about the 45 minute mark and abandoned this.

Best option IMO, make yourself an @Eagle_Steve nem cannon as seen below. They work!
PXL_20210713_211653273.jpg
lol what is a nem cannon?!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck with ice in a well sealed bag next to them. Makes them very uncomfortable and 95% of the time they easily move.

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nems aren’t wedged in a crevice, you should be able to irritate the foot, so the nem will release. If the nems are wedged into the rock it’s a bit of a challenge to get them out. Hanging them upside down can work very well.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol what is a nem cannon?!
Do you see the picture?

PVC pipe slightly oversized in a sponge. Mess with the nem until it closes up. Cover it with the PVC and secure the sponge to the rock in any manner you can to give no other escape. The anemone will walk up the tube toward the light.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the picture?

PVC pipe slightly oversized in a sponge. Mess with the nem until it closes up. Cover it with the PVC and secure the sponge to the rock in any manner you can to give no other escape. The anemone will walk up the tube toward the light.
no way thats hilarious, picture almost looks photoshopped im gonna have to try that in the future.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no way thats hilarious, picture almost looks photoshopped im gonna have to try that in the future.
No photo shop. Just a great idea by a brilliant reefer ( clearly not this guy) I'm. 6/6 getting anemones off the rocks with this method and about zero stress to the animal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back