moving from a reefer 170 to a 250

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, ive had a reefer 170 for about a year that i purchased from someone who had it setup for a year. loved the thing so much that i ended up getting a 250 at a great price and am looking to move everything i currently have over. Before I do I am wondering if you guys can look at my current setup and give me an idea on what i should upgrade and how to go about making the move.

2 clown fish
1 pajama
8 snails
1 hermit
1 emerald crab
1 torch
3 xenia
1 acan
1 mushroom
4 differnt types of zoa
about 40lbs of rock

reef octo 110s
tunze top off
1 reef led 90 but i recently upgraded to a kessil a360x
sicce 714 gph return
1 mp10
1 brs 300w titanium heater
triton 5 gal reservoir

I think thats about it.
I was thinking of ordering some carib sea life rock to replace my current rock. id be placing what i can in my sump and the new rock in the display. will this cause a cycle? also some of my current rock has aiptasia and Im wondering how to deal with this before the transfer.
As far as moving everything over Im under the impression that i can use my current water and fill the remainder with fresh saltwater and new sand. would this be correct? first time doing this and any help or tips are greatly appreciated. doing this from work so i may have forgotten a few things

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be using new dry rock? It shouldn't cause a cycle. The bacteria will just move to it. If it's wet, stuff will die and cause a mini cycle. You could just start to cook the rock before hand. Bucket, salt water, power head. Gets the rock started.
You can reuse your sand if you rinse it clean in tap, final in di or old salt water.
Even new sand you want to rinse to get rid of that dust cloud.
But, yes, put rock in then sand. If you don't think it will cycle, add your fish and new water.
Aptaisia, best treated outside the tank so you can get to all the nooks and crannies. I would just mix up a Kalk paste with lemon juice and squirt them. Leave it on for a bit and rinse in salt water. You may want to squirt the area again, just to make sure. I hate them buggers.
So are you breaking down, moving the tank and reset up? Or is this just a move from one to the other?

Back