moving sand from display tank to refugium

eddddy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm thinking about going barebottom and moving most of the existing sand to the refugium and the rest just removing it a little at a time whenever I vacuum the sand bed during a twice a month water change to the point that there is no more sand left in the display and was wondering if this would pose any stability issues? I wouldn't think so since i'm just moving it from basically one section of the system to another.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the large concerns here is the release of detritus and nitrates that have settled within the sandbed and under the top layers. This is like....your sandbed taking a biggo fart and releasing that gas, then it being trapped in the water. Apologies for my lack of elegance here! :)

Moving the sand is a-ok, portions at a time like you mentioned (twice a month). Maybe even fit in some water changes just to be safe.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if ur sandbed is old, then yes it can cause problem unless old sand is rinsed clean prior to adding them to the sump. I'd save 1-2 cups of old sand to help seed the cleaned sand that has been moved to the sump.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the removal is the key planning:

increments vs all at once, the classic procedural duel. behind door #1 is incremental removal, what 100% of any poll respondents would agree is the safest mechanism. it sometimes does work out ok, incremental removal.

but behind door #2, the sand rinse thread, the only thread on the web testing out the matter in about five hundred jobs zero losses- the findings do not agree with the masses not at all. partial removal, partial anything is this risk:

select the transfer method carefully for sure. the age and nutrient loading of the primary sandbed should be factored heavily in how you choose to move the sand.

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fuge is on the floor under your tank, then cleaning the sanded once its in your fuge will be very difficult bc syphon will not work or very weak if your bucket is on the same level.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vacuum the sand bed each water change for a while b4 moving ... and take it slowly, 1 cup every few weeks
How old is your ecosystem?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week since first post he may not be coming back or job might already be done as well...

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back