Moving to a new House

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well kinda depends how large your tank is and if you're moving across town or across the country as to how you need to handle it....but food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids should be on your list

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check my build thread, the first post has some info on how I moved my tank. I bought it from someone who had it set up already and we moved it about two hours away. Distance is definitely a factor. You will want to do some research on whether or not you want to move your sand bed over as well.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved (too) many times in the 30+ years I've been reefing. It's not difficult but planning is essential. Without a little more info it's difficult to help.

OP
OP
Manos

Manos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so let me give you some more info, the new house is 1 hour away, if we consider the time pre-moving and post-moving, I could say that the livestock will leave the tank and it will get back in after 2 or 2 and a half hours! I considered also buckets, food grade of course, I will not take out the sand from the main tank, I will leave it there with a little bit of water.... Do I need air stones????

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use the old sand or you risk killing your tank. Not even one handful

all 43 pages there are tank moves with no losses, tap water is key. If you want total safety, tap rinse your old sand before re use and tap rinse and new sand you might change to. If you skip that tap rinse, you risk the tank with old sand. If you skip tap rinse on new sand, page one above shows you the risk fifteen tanks took and received/ cloudy for ten days etc. new sand can’t kill your tank but the cloud can cause months of headaches we linked and showed.

but if you read for thirty minutes those examples you’ll never lose a reef to a move.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back