Moving to another state

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr pope GIF

With a lot pf preparation, realistic expectations and a little prayer doesn't hurt. As @P-Dub said ... there is an exhaustive number of threads to search on the forum regarding moving tanks. The first thing I would look into is local fish stores or reef clubs where you are going. Depending on distance, you may need to send sensitive critters on ahead. Maintaining temp and O2 on a long distance is your biggest issue. Best of luck! Welcome to the group. Let us know how the journey goes.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Here is a link to one of those threads/articles that are here on R2R:

Upvote 0

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved my tank 3 times, all within 10 miles. I would never even attempt to move the whole thing across state lines. Best Case scenario would be to drain it, if you have a buddy that can care for you live stock, then maybe ship it? I don't know.... sounds like a really hard task. Is there livestock you're attached to?

Upvote 0

TheSaltyNurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! My clownfish have traveled over 2000 miles. I went 500 miles with them in bucket with an air bubbler going. Then ran a small filter in the hotel. Then back in the car for the other 500. I will have to move a reef tank in a few years so I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread

Upvote 0

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Moving a tank is definitely not a stress-free or easy event, but it can be done. Is your tank small enough that you can fit everything in your car in buckets, or is it big enough you need to rent a moving truck? I know we often say on this forum that nothing good in reefing is accomplished quickly, but tank moves are one of the exceptions to the rule.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to move a reef tank across the country with not issue?
Empty the tank first. When you get to your new location, after you get everything else moved into your new place you can start over. Otherwise, there will be issues.

You have been here since August 2018 but have not posted much so folks think you are new. Good luck with your moves.
Holi Festival Bollywood GIF

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back