MP 40 wetsides

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is in just inevitable that after a few years they all rust and explode? Have both the old style and the newer quit drives and now not a single good wet side despite having 2 good dry sides. I know they are out of warranty but can't recall having this particular issue with such an expensive piece of equipment in my 30 years of reefing. At least with a maxi jet impeller or the like the replacement is only a few bucks. As far as I know they have never been cleaned in vinegar and only asking before I shell out some more money for new wet sides. Even worse they seem to be out of stock just about everywhere if I even wanted to get another one.

20200426_142420.jpg 20200426_142425.jpg 20200426_142433.jpg

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. My hydor wave makers can be in vinega/water mixed for few day with out any issue. Don’t know why 3-400$ piece of equipment can’t prevent that.

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is the problem it pernitrates plastics on a molecular level.

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why they rust from the inside. Do a google search, never use vinegar. It will eventually destroy your equipment. I have used diluted muriatic acid for years and have pumps that are almost twenty years old.

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got them used you never will know ether way that sucks.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, have 2 40s for 4 years and cleaned with vinegar...no problems. Only problem I have is Nem protector sponges are a Nitrate issue and had my Bubbletip flip tentacle fist into it and got a haircut, but the Baastard came back like Rocky Balboa!! Anyone have thoughts on plastic Nem protectors?!?

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, have 2 40s for 4 years and cleaned with vinegar...no problems. Only problem I have is Nem protector sponges are a Nitrate issue and had my Bubbletip flip tentacle fist into it and got a haircut, but the Baastard came back like Rocky Balboa!! Anyone have thoughts on plastic Nem protectors?!?
Get one of those 3D printed one. My buddy makes those and he sells on eBay

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is in just inevitable that after a few years they all rust and explode? Have both the old style and the newer quit drives and now not a single good wet side despite having 2 good dry sides. I know they are out of warranty but can't recall having this particular issue with such an expensive piece of equipment in my 30 years of reefing. At least with a maxi jet impeller or the like the replacement is only a few bucks. As far as I know they have never been cleaned in vinegar and only asking before I shell out some more money for new wet sides. Even worse they seem to be out of stock just about everywhere if I even wanted to get another one.

20200426_142420.jpg 20200426_142425.jpg 20200426_142433.jpg

Those are the original wetside design, so more than 5 years old. I’ve not had any of the magnets on mine rupture like that, but I do proactively replace them after about 4-5 years. Just now starting to replace the ones on my MP60s that I bought in early 2015 when the quiet drive models first came out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is a quit drive, frustrating since I have some Mag drives and tunzes that are pushing 20 years

Danner mag drive pumps and tunze powerheads are the gold standard for longevity …. not surprised you got 20 years out of them. You might get close to that with the vortech driver/dryside, but the wetside seems to be 5 years at best (at least, for me).

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst part after looking at their website and everywhere else it looks like I am without pumps until they reopen since their offices are closed due to Covid-19.
And ya in all my years I have had one Mag drive actually completely fail, usually it is just the volute which I have to replace.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst part after looking at their website and everywhere else it looks like I am without pumps until they reopen since their offices are closed due to Covid-19.
And ya in all my years I have had one Mag drive actually completely fail, usually it is just the volute which I have to replace.
I think vivid had one on the shelf last time I went there, give them a call and see if they’ll ship. Also unless you bought these pumps new, they were probably cleaned in vinegar. The other thing is that the old style wet sides are at least 5 years as they stopped making them when qd came out. I think that’s a good lifespan for a wet side. I got one that looked like the one at the bottom, what I did is cleaned it with alcohol, and put a small glob of super glue Gel, over the crack, and smeared it so that it’s a very thin coat. Let it dry outside the tank for 24 hours then re assemble. It essentially sealed the magnet temporarily And prevented it from expanding further, just keep on checking on it. This should give you a few more months of life of it. The other two are toast, just save the parts off of them and toss the magnets.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d been hunting around for a spare MP40 and MP60 wetside. Found the latter but the former is unobtanium ....for now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back