MP10 question

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MP10 literature states that it will only work with up to 3/8" glass.

I am looking to use it on 3/4" glass.

Anyone have an MP10 they can put on a piece of 3/4" glass (holding it together and tell me if the impeller spins?

I know it will not be warranted, I'll need to figure out a may to keep it in place.
I really don't want to use an MP40 as it is overkill for this purpose.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will work
With the 3/4 acrylic on my tank the MP40 must be used without the Pin Spacer and even then the holding power is not what I would call strong

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried mine on half inch glass. It stayed on the glass and technically worked, but it made an awful racket that it doesn't make with thinner glass.

I don't expect our to work on ¾ glass.

OP
OP
S

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up picking up a used MP40. Soooo.... I called Ecotech, The MP40 will not stay put on glass, further I can't believe its designed to put the bare metal of the outside pump on the glass (you have to remove and use no rubber spacer). Their answer, thats what the zip tie and sticky tab is for! So let me get this straight, I am holding a $400 pump in the air by a $.02 .5" piece of tape (sticky tab)??!?! does anyone else see this as absurd?

For my purpose, the pump needs to be mounted close to the sand bed, and therefore requires the power cord to come out the bottom, no the top.... Ecotech response... it really not designed for that.

My temporary solution, put the rubber spacer back on, cover the spacer in double sided tape, and stick it to the glass. It is working, however I will likely end up using black glazing butyl tape as I can see the white double sided tape when viewing the aquarium.

This has been my 2nd less than favorable interaction with ecotech. Im giving consideration to the large gyre nice its released. Both pumps have their differences and flaws, but the engineer in me just can't fathom why ecotech insists on putting such a heavy reliance upon tape. There are other solutions, which would give me a better piece of mind than having my MP60s, MP40s held up by tape. At the very least they could provide a few black double sided tape cut outs for the exact size of the pump.

ok off my soap box, Im just disgusted.

OP
OP
S

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still not sure if the MP10 will work on 3/4" glass however it would definitely require another means of securing it in position.

With the MP40 at least the wet side stays in position with the way it is designed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe the MP40 is designed for 3/4" glass either (1/2" if memory serves) so it requires a cludge to work. MP10 won't work properly on 3/4" at all.

I don't find the mounting tab and zip tie absurd at all. It's a sensible backup. Although my tank is 1/2" and the MP40 holds fine, occasionally a snail get too close the impeller. Rapid stop will torque the wetside right off the glass. Without the sticky square, your dry side would hit the floor; unlikely to be good for the motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is supposed to be the case. however the Mp40 I have will not stay in position. My work around is the double sided tape.

After having tried this with the MP40 I have little confidence the MP10 would work, although Id still like to try it, just not at the expense of buying a new one.

KGK says he tried it and it made a racket.. Im wondering if at that thickness the propeller is slipping.

Mp40 is fine on ¾" glass. You just remove the pin spacer.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is supposed to be the case. however the Mp40 I have will not stay in position. My work around is the double sided tape.

After having tried this with the MP40 I have little confidence the MP10 would work, although Id still like to try it, just not at the expense of buying a new one.

KGK says he tried it and it made a racket.. Im wondering if at that thickness the propeller is slipping.

My two MP40's seem fine on 3/4" right now. Haven't had any issues so far (crosses fingers).
Yeah, the MP10 dry side made an awful racket on 1/2" glass, but it stayed on fine. This same MP10 is silent on the 1/4" acrylic of my sump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back