mp10 westside vibration?

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a used mp10 and the westside seems to have some sort of vibration as it is loud. I already broke it apart and nothing seems broken. any ideas?

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem before. Are you sure it's not the dry side? Believe it or not, if you turn it off and shake the dry side a little sometimes you can get it back into alignment. For some reason my MP10 is louder than my MP40s.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an alignment issue, both magnets aren't sitting properly in relationships to each other. You can move the wetside around while it's running until the sound disappears.

For some people they have better luck by shutting it down, slightly moving the wetside and turning it on. They do that until the vibration is gone.

OP
OP
J

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
defenitly the westside. I have another mp10 on the tank as well. I just switched the wet sides around and same problem. I also tried roatating it and still making noise

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
defenitly the westside. I have another mp10 on the tank as well. I just switched the wet sides around and same problem. I also tried roatating it and still making noise

When you say you had the same problem do you mean that the wet side from the good MP10 was moved to the other side (the used MP10 dry side) and it still made the noise or it did not make the noise? I assume you mean it did not make the noise anymore. If that's the case, I would say your used MP10's wet side is worn out. It was probably cleaned with vinegar and that tends to wear out the plastic on the rotor assembly. I'm not saying that is definitely your problem, but it's possible. Take it apart (unclip the 3 prongs so you can remove the rotor assembly) and look at the base of the rotor to see if the plastic is swollen or if there is any metal showing through. IME, that is how they usually fail.

OP
OP
J

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I mean the used wet side still makes the same noice on either dry side. Looks like I found the problem

image.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back