Mp40 180g

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
1,439
Reaction score
819
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate making decisions

Replacing my jebao gyre with an mp40

Gyre was crapping out-was told i’ll love what the mp40 can do-hope they are right
 
As long as you are aware that MP40s and gyres do different things. Gyres move a sheet of water, and a strong one can move it all the way across a 6' tank. MP40 will be a wider flow, no cords in the tank.
 
I had good luck of a MP 40 on a 6 ft 180.

Personally like gyre more I switched to two icecap 4k and very much liked them. Two with a controller was about same price as one MP 40.

How thick is your glass I had 3/4 inch at the time and the MP40 magnets had issues with it.
 
Vortechs will usually push out a cone of water vs a wide and thin sheet of water.

Depending on what you're looking for you may need more than a 1:1 replacement to get a similar result but you get less required maintenance in return.

At the very least, vortechs are extremely reliable though and for the 180gs I own, I use 4 mp40s (2 on each side)
 
Yes i figured im going to need probabky add another one at minimum on other side of tank


Over the next couple months going to add in most likely more
 
When I went above 60% the inner impeller would fall off, my glass was all of 3/4 inch and that was with no spacers in per their directions.

Their product page indicated it works on up to 3/4 inch.

I would say 60% provided more than enough flow but I found it irritating.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new