MP40 dryside replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I finally had a MP40 dryside go bad. ( actually wife knocked it off the end of the tank and the dryside hit the floor.)
Anyone have a link on the procedure to disconnect and reconnect the cable going from the dryside to the controller?

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's very simple, pull the big knob on the front part of the controller, and there are 3 screws in the back of the controller. Unscrew and remove the covers and there you go.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
it's very simple, pull the big knob on the front part of the controller, and there are 3 screws in the back of the controller. Unscrew and remove the covers and there you go.
Thanks. I've never taken one apart and figured that I would ask before doing something that's going to cost me more in the long run.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have another dryside that's suppose to be here today, so I felt safe enough to try a little diy. I couldn't find any videos specific to the QD model, so looking at several non qd model videos, I thought what the heck.
So I just stated removing screws, plus the backing sticker and one of the first things I noticed was there seemed to be a rattle inside.
So I got to the point where I removed the magnet/flywheel part and it came out very easy.
I almost didn't need a allen wrench.
I got the assembly out of the casing and there was a third set of screws that were so tight, I couldn't get them broken loose with the cheapo screw driver I have. Thought about running down to lowes and check to see if they had any case hardened #1 screw drivers.
But it this point it hit me there was no rattle coming from the unit.
So I put it back together and using just a screw driver in one end and a allen wrench in the other to tighten the magnet assembly back together.
Put both ends back on and there was nothing rattling around inside anymore. It was solid.
So I plugged it in and,,,,, nothing. Then I held it up to my ear and I could hear a very quiet whirr.
Then the ultimate test, I put the wetside in the tank and attached everything and hit power, and like magic, it was working again!!!!

So after all that, I figure the magnet/fly wheel assembly must have just gotten loose enough to knock everything out of alignment inside to seize it up.

Now I have a extra dryside ( coming today in the mail lol)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back