MP40 Placement Help, Schedules, Mounting Tips and Tricks

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey all.

I'm running 2x MP40s on my 155g Aquavim corner tank. I have a ton of rockwork in there and I'm def. seeing quite a few dead spots and I'm just not sure If I have them positioned right or
not. It's a bowfront, pushed into the corner with about 5" of clearance in the back.

Looking for a good schedule as I'm not really happy with the one I'm running.

Finally, once I have a good placement plan Looking for any tips y'all have for mounting these because it's pretty tough to get a hand on either side at the same time.

I have a dual nozzle return that is coming down from the top glass cover just about dead center.

I have 2 Maxspect Gyres I got from someone in a lot I purchased, but I never tried them on this tank.

2803524-79871c7833b9dd49cabddce3777f00a6.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that when I want to visualize my flow patterns, I add a bit (10-12.5ml) of alkalinity (such as Red Sea), wait for it quickly "snow globe" and then observe and adjust my powerheads accordingly. You can also use an airstone to achieve a similar effect.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just going to be a lot of trial and error to find the sweet spot for pumps - Unfortunately, corner tanks are pretty difficult to judge because of their shape and the way rockwork is forced. Experiment - find the sweet spot.

Schedule wise is also an experiment of sorts - I like to alternative between one pump on one side pushing a constant speed whislt the pump on the opposite side pushes reef crest - I alternate what pump does what ever hour. It gives a good randomness to flow which is fairly important as opposed to linear flow constantly.

Finally, once I have a good placement plan Looking for any tips y'all have for mounting these because it's pretty tough to get a hand on either side at the same time.
It shoudlnt really require two hands - Find the spot you are going for "roughly" and use the cable tie sticky pad a few inches above - then grip the wire in this with a cable tie - This supports the pump from above so it cannot drop for safety going forwards and allows you to fix the wet side with only one hand as the dry side is supported in its spot.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Its just going to be a lot of trial and error to find the sweet spot for pumps - Unfortunately, corner tanks are pretty difficult to judge because of their shape and the way rockwork is forced. Experiment - find the sweet spot.

Schedule wise is also an experiment of sorts - I like to alternative between one pump on one side pushing a constant speed whislt the pump on the opposite side pushes reef crest - I alternate what pump does what ever hour. It gives a good randomness to flow which is fairly important as opposed to linear flow constantly.

It shoudlnt really require two hands - Find the spot you are going for "roughly" and use the cable tie sticky pad a few inches above - then grip the wire in this with a cable tie - This supports the pump from above so it cannot drop for safety going forwards and allows you to fix the wet side with only one hand as the dry side is supported in its spot.
Thanks man!! I like your idea for the programming and the cable tie idea. I also have 2x maxspect gyres that I have not tried yet and/or I have a backup MP40 so I could go to having 3 in there if it would help things.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about it for sure. Where do you think would be a good mounting spot to try?
Check out the picture, I'd mount the gyres either in the back, vertically (a pita I bet) or try the top horizontally and adjust as needed. IME the mp40's have a lot of flow (gph), but a narrow flow pattern.

2803524-79871c7833b9dd49cabddce3777f00a6~2.jpeg

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Check out the picture, I'd mount the gyres either in the back, vertically (a pita I bet) or try the top horizontally and adjust as needed. IME the mp40's have a lot of flow (gph), but a narrow flow pattern.

2803524-79871c7833b9dd49cabddce3777f00a6~2.jpeg
Sand is definitely looking brown as of late, so I can use more flow toward the bottom. I'll try that and see how it goes. I've seen BRS do some testing with something that glows green when poured in. What is that they're using?

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that when I want to visualize my flow patterns, I add a bit (10-12.5ml) of alkalinity (such as Red Sea), wait for it quickly "snow globe" and then observe and adjust my powerheads accordingly. You can also use an airstone to achieve a similar effect.
The airstone is quite clever, I figured that out last night inadvertently during a power failure

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back