MP40 placement

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up two MP40s that I am using on either side along with 2 WAVs that are mounted in the back towards the bottom. I really want to move all four pumps to the back wall blowing over the top of the rock, hitting the glass, and forming a gyre. Currently some of the SPS is taking some damage being so close to the MP40s on the sides along with the fish getting blown around quite a bit. Does this seem feasible or are these MP40s better off on opposite sides colliding in the middle? Will this type of gyre flow provide enough of a chaotic flow that SPS like? This is the tank when it was first set up about 10 months ago to show the rockwork. I am used to just keeping the pumps on the sides.....then I watched one of the BRS MP40 videos showing how nice they look hidden on the back wall lol.

20200425_125638.jpg

Last edited:

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do it that way to create a gyre, but if you have them on opposite sides of the back wall you can turbulence, which combined with changing flow speed, will move the point of turbulence and therefore create a more natural flow pattern.

Get them setup and running and arm yourself with some RO tubing and blow bubbles into one of the powerheads and observe how the bubbles react and where they converge with the opposite current.

The turbulent flow will also be good for the coral because it's also indirect.

If you can, take videos of this experiment and link them here explaining what you were trying and what your conclusions were.

I would be extremely interested in seeing how it all goes.

Hope that helps and good luck.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The RO tubing is a good idea....hadn't thought of that. I am not sure what you mean by opposite sides on the back wall? Unfortunately MP40s are static as far as direction so if they are on the back wall they can only point forward. They would be on opposite sides of the wall as far as one on each side of the center overflow. The two WAVs will also be on the back wall and those are adjustable as far as where the flow goes so I can probably play with those. Between that and all 4 pumps being programmable with different flow patterns and intensities I am hoping to get at least somewhat of a random flow. I will definitely post what I come up with and what the different placements do.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The RO tubing is a good idea....hadn't thought of that. I am not sure what you mean by opposite sides on the back wall? Unfortunately MP40s are static as far as direction so if they are on the back wall they can only point forward. They would be on opposite sides of the wall as far as one on each side of the center overflow. The two WAVs will also be on the back wall and those are adjustable as far as where the flow goes so I can probably play with those. Between that and all 4 pumps being programmable with different flow patterns and intensities I am hoping to get at least somewhat of a random flow. I will definitely post what I come up with and what the different placements do.
Yeah I am thinking either side of the weir close to the side glass for the MP40's.
I thoughts are it should flow something like this...

20201201_060758.jpg

Just setup the MP40's first and see where the bubbles go. You can then use the wav's and direct them to pick up dead spots or increase turbulence.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am thinking either side of the weir close to the side glass for the MP40's.
I thoughts are it should flow something like this...

20201201_060758.jpg

Just setup the MP40's first and see where the bubbles go. You can then use the wav's and direct them to pick up dead spots or increase turbulence.

Hope this helps.
That is a good idea...hadn't thought about trying to wrap the flow around the side like that......I just assumed the only way would be over the top of the rock against the front glass. I will definitely try a few different placements.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the RO pipe you'll be able to see the flow and determine the best position. Please record it if you can, I'm sure I won't be the only one here to find the results fascinating.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the RO pipe you'll be able to see the flow and determine the best position. Please record it if you can, I'm sure I won't be the only one here to find the results fascinating.
Will do! Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up setting it up exactly like your drawing. Night and day difference in both the appearance (no pumps on the sides) and water movement (no coral getting hit by direct flow). I was able to crank up the MP40s since they aren't sitting directly in front of anything. I probably could have gotten by without the WAVs but I am using them to hit the back of the rocks. I should have moved these pumps a long time ago....everything just blends into the black background.

Pumps.jpg

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an issue with dead spots now in the front of the tank at all? What about the substrate blowing around? I am asking because I have 2 MP10s that really stand out on the sides of my tank and I have been thinking about moving them to the back wall as well. They really stand out now with the neon orange Nem guards ‍♂️
20201201_182648.jpg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up setting it up exactly like your drawing. Night and day difference in both the appearance (no pumps on the sides) and water movement (no coral getting hit by direct flow). I was able to crank up the MP40s since they aren't sitting directly in front of anything. I probably could have gotten by without the WAVs but I am using them to hit the back of the rocks. I should have moved these pumps a long time ago....everything just blends into the black background.

Pumps.jpg
Did you do the RO tubing trick to watch the flow?

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an issue with dead spots now in the front of the tank at all? What about the substrate blowing around? I am asking because I have 2 MP10s that really stand out on the sides of my tank and I have been thinking about moving them to the back wall as well. They really stand out now with the neon orange Nem guards ‍♂️
20201201_182648.jpg
I don't have any dead spots at all....which I wasn't expecting to be the case. I was running them at 45% reefcrest when they were on the sides....I was able to bump them up to 65% reef crest on the back which gives me chaotic flow off and on as the intensity changes. The substrate blowing around is an issue which I will live with. Both front corners are currently bare.......I am going to try to slope the substrate from front to back to see if that helps. Definitely try it....if it doesn't work for you, you can move them back. These are the only pumps (I believe) that don't have any visible cords in the tank. I would try to take advantage of the clean look if it works for you. Good looking tank....why did they have to make the guards orange lol?

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the RO tubing trick to watch the flow?
I actually didn't need to....since I was moving the pumps around I did a quick manual water change and stirred up the substrate. I had a ton of crap in the water column that I was able to watch. I did make a video of it, but unfortunately the suspended junk didn't show up on the video :(

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well, I'll be doing my own tests in about a month I hope to share with the community. I am glad it worked out for you, which is the main thing. Flow is such an interesting and probably underestimated part of the hobby. I'll try to remember to link back here the results of my experiments if you're interested.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well, I'll be doing my own tests in about a month I hope to share with the community. I am glad it worked out for you, which is the main thing. Flow is such an interesting and probably underestimated part of the hobby. I'll try to remember to link back here the results of my experiments if you're interested.
Yes definitely interested :) .

Pygmey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 tank. 5ft by 2ft by 2ft. I have 4 mp40s.. I have two main islands for rock with a small amount of rock connecting them.. What do you think is the best placement for the pumps?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 tank. 5ft by 2ft by 2ft. I have 4 mp40s.. I have two main islands for rock with a small amount of rock connecting them.. What do you think is the best placement for the pumps?
can you post a pic please, I'm a bit more of a visual person.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank should be arriving next week. Taken a bit longer than I had envisaged, but never mind. I'll be doing my flow testing ASAP.

Back