MP40 / tank thickness

Ecotech Marine

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Considering wave makers, EcoTech seems to be only ones with no wires in the tank. My tank is 1/2" acrylic with an integral lid. I noted the MP10 magnetic drive is only good for up to 0.375" tank wall. Is the MP40 going to work for thicker tank material?

RAP

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Considering wave makers, EcoTech seems to be only ones with no wires in the tank. My tank is 1/2" acrylic with an integral lid. I noted the MP10 magnetic drive is only good for up to 0.375" tank wall. Is the MP40 going to work for thicker tank material?
Meh, I used Jebao and love them. Saved hundreds by not caring about the wires. I can also aim them where you can't with the MP's

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Meh, I used Jebao and love them. Saved hundreds by not caring about the wires. I can also aim them where you can't with the MP's
I'd have to drill a hole in the tank lid to run a wire, but I guess it's doable

Attachments

• 20210620_073522.jpg
    20210620_073522.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 12

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve got 2 mp40 and 2 mp60 on my 350 gallon with 3/4 inch glass used a little adhesive but they work fine. Love how they can be linked together for alternating flows

OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No need for drilling holes. That's one of the "perks" of the MP line. The motor cord is outside the tank. The wetside is driven by magnets.
I was referring to every other powerhead / gyre I've seen. Are there any besides EcoTech with wire on the dry side?

RAP

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The Neros are nothing like the MPxx in that regard. The Nero line has the motor and cord in the tank held in place by a magnet on the outside. The MPxx have the motor and cord on the outside of the tank and drive the propeller on the inside by magnets, which also help hold them in place along with sticky tie-wrap mounts for the cord outside the tank. The Nero pumps have great flow pattern but they're still just like most others as far as where the cord goes. *Ecotec is the mother company but they are separate entities.
(*Stock photos, not mine)

Nero mounted
ai_nero3_side_w_driver-scaled-1200x1200.jpg

MP40 mounted
300281_vortechmp40-a_3.jpg

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yep. My tank is slightly over 1/2” and it fit fine.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The Neros are nothing like the MPxx in that regard. The Nero line has the motor and cord in the tank held in place by a magnet on the outside. The MPxx have the motor and cord on the outside of the tank and drive the propeller on the inside by magnets, which also help hold them in place along with sticky tie-wrap mounts for the cord outside the tank. The Nero pumps have great flow pattern but they're still just like most others as far as where the cord goes. *Ecotec is the mother company but they are separate entities.
(*Stock photos, not mine)

Nero mounted
ai_nero3_side_w_driver-scaled-1200x1200.jpg

MP40 mounted
300281_vortechmp40-a_3.jpg
OP has another thread asking about Nero controllers. My reply is what happens when quickly reading multiple threads from same OP…

Neros do have wires inside of the tank. I own and use both MP40s and Neros. Both are good powerheads. The Nero wire is very thin and is often less noticeable than the large MP wart on the outside of the tank.

RAP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
OP has another thread asking about Nero controllers. My reply is what happens when quickly reading multiple threads from same OP…

Neros do have wires inside of the tank. I own and use both MP40s and Neros. Both are good powerheads. The Nero wire is very thin and is often less noticeable than the large MP wart on the outside of the tank.

You're right - too many simultaneous questions. My bad ... ;Blackeye

AI Hydra

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 523 69.5%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 72 9.6%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 76 10.1%