MP40 Vortech Problem

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater is evil on bearings, thats for sure also i think its good to take out power heads every once and awhile and let them run in some ro/di water with vineger to clean them off, i do the same thing with return pumps and skimmers, the vineger melts everything off thats not supost to be there and keeps things running good

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater is evil on bearings, thats for sure also i think its good to take out power heads every once and awhile and let them run in some ro/di water with vineger to clean them off, i do the same thing with return pumps and skimmers, the vineger melts everything off thats not supost to be there and keeps things running good

I think any metal is evil in saltwater. Also keep in mind Vortechs dont have that long of a life to begin with IMO a year to two years before somthing goies, but i would gladly pay to fix them each year thats hopw good they are.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They have replaced or repaired everything I have ever sent in, even after warrenty was expired. They even sent me a rebuild kit for my wetside after a year and half of abuse. Customer for life right here

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have replaced or repaired everything I have ever sent in, even after warrenty was expired. They even sent me a rebuild kit for my wetside after a year and half of abuse. Customer for life right here

They do have great CS, but im after the pump i love what they can do. Does any one know what happens when they are3 synced with a apex controlleR?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have great CS, but im after the pump i love what they can do. Does any one know what happens when they are3 synced with a apex controlleR?

From what I understand, by syncing them with an Apex throught the wireless module, you can just control through the same exact modes as the EcoSmart controller. However, then you can set it up to automatically cycle through various modes, and have the pumps enter feed mode when you hit feed mode on the Apex.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, by syncing them with an Apex throught the wireless module, you can just control through the same exact modes as the EcoSmart controller. However, then you can set it up to automatically cycle through various modes, and have the pumps enter feed mode when you hit feed mode on the Apex.

Thats pretty sick, will i be able to controlle the pumps via my iphone when everything is all said and done?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty sick, will i be able to controlle the pumps via my iphone when everything is all said and done?

I'm not sure... I don't have the vortech module, I was just going by the product descriptions I've read. I'm not sure if it gets set up as an outlet with a simple drop down menu for programming, or if there's a certain line of code to use in advanced programing for switching between modes. I'm not sure if the iPhone app is the same as the one on my droid, but I doubt you'd be able to do it in the app. Maybe you could adjust the programming though if you login remotely in the web browser.

Anthony10476

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with noise on dry side. Contacted them and was told to to send in for repair I asked to see how much it would be and was told 300.00 or less to repair or to purchase a new one and save this one as a spare.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have the same problem with noise on dry side. Contacted them and was told to to send in for repair I asked to see how much it would be and was told 300.00 or less to repair or to purchase a new one and save this one as a spare.
Welcome! Very unfortunate, is it a new unit? If it's going to cost that type of money to repair, definitely better off with purchasing a new one. I happen to not use vortech powerheads, but those drysides last quite a long time. Worth saving a bunch of money on getting a used one.

Anthony10476

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mp40 is 3 years old it cost me 375.00 back then. Its had this noise for about 2 weeks so I went to my LFS and was told by the person who does the ordering of equipment to contact ecotech, and tell them my problem . He said that they would send me the parts as this was something common and he has done it before or that they would swap it out. So I did and this is my conversation with eco tech.
(07:27:47 PM) Im having problems with my mp40 its 3 years old and it just started to make noise ticking winding from the dry side.
(07:30:13 PM) Do you continue to hear the noise when you run the dryside alone? Meaning not attached to the wetside?
(07:30:24 PM) yes
(07:30:47 PM) gets worst when the wet side is on
(07:31:24 PM) Okay, I would recommend having that entire VorTech sent in for service. Please go to http://ecotechmarine.com/support/request-service/ and fill out our Return Materials Authorization form to receive the necessary email and other information you need to send your product in for service.
(07:32:49 PM) is there a way for parts to repair so I dont have to remove it for sometime till i get it back?
(07:33:32 PM) You would need to purchase a new dryside and wetside at a total cost of $300 if you'd like to do that.
(07:33:51 PM) If you do not want to be without flow a better option might be to purchase a new MP40wQD and keep your current unit as a spare.
(07:34:18 PM) repair is 300?
(07:35:12 PM) If you need a dryside and wetside for an MP40ES total cost is $300 plus shipping.
(07:35:50 PM) ok
(07:36:09 PM) no parts to repair it my self
(07:37:02 PM) I don't know what parts you would need.
(07:37:07 PM) if i send it in for repair it will be 300 correct?
(07:37:36 PM) I can't say for sure since I haven't inspected the unit but I would expect it would be $300 or under plus the cost of shipping.

Needless to say still have the problem called my LFS and told them what I was told they said that they have been having some problems with ecotechs customer service but over all ok they said it depends who you speak to. They recommended to sell my pumps and go with another brand that is cheaper and has the same output I'll check tomorrow to see what brand they are talking about.

Anthony10476

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Very unfortunate, is it a new unit? If it's going to cost that type of money to repair, definitely better off with purchasing a new one. I happen to not use vortech powerheads, but those drysides last quite a long time. Worth saving a bunch of money on getting a used one.
thank you .. no its 3 years old and just started to have the problem LFS said to sell the pumps and go with any other brands that cost less with the same power. Ill check tomorrow

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you .. no its 3 years old and just started to have the problem LFS said to sell the pumps and go with any other brands that cost less with the same power. Ill check tomorrow

The MP40 dryside is $210 on the ETM website (parts store). Assuming the pump was new when you bought it, and you used the proper spacer, dryside really should last a lot longer than 3 years. I've a bunch that are over 6 and no issues. Wetside is a different story. Probably needs replacing after 3 years.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back