MP40 Vortech Problem

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my vortechs is making a awful grinding noise. So bad I have had to unplug it. Any ideas?

DaveDunbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I had an MP40 after about a yr of use do the same thing. I took it apart and found the front bearing in the dry side had gone bad. I had a bearing supplier at work get me a replacement and its been working great ever since!! Seems the front shaft bearing really gets a work out from slowing and speeding up in the "Reef Crest" mode!! How old is yours? Kinda a monster to get apart but once you figure it out its easy!!
Dave

mjplumber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rebuilt my dry side last week after having grinding/squelling sound. I purchased 2 bearings on ebay( 1-698-2rs 8mm X 19mm X 6mm and 1- 607 z 7mm X 19mm X 6mm )
To take your dry side apart is easy, start with an exacta knife and peel of the sticker, under that you can use two screw drivers to remove the magnet, then there is a couple more screws and you will have the motor apart split the motor and be carefull not to loose the metal spring inside, You need to use a puller to remove the bearings otherwise you may damage the black magnet on the outside of the armatuer, I used my faucet handle puller to pill of the bearings. The bearings are two different sizes so you can't make a mistake on which way they go back on, I pressed em on with my bench vise using two sockets on each side keeping even pressure on the bearings, then just put it back together and you"ll be good to go. My MP40 sounds like new again, I did order a new wet side from echo techs web site and put that in as well. Hope this helps.
Mark

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is about a year and a half old. So I need to rebuild the wet side huh? Id this something ecotech usually takes care of?

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need to rebuild the dry side. Ecotech does not have any options for that other than buying a whole new dry side. However replacing the bearings should not be an issue with the right tools.

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about a year and a half old. So I need to rebuild the wet side huh? Id this something ecotech usually takes care of?

Took this off EcoTech website. I ended up purchasing a whole new wetside on my. HTH

"The wet side of the VorTech propeller pump has one wear component in the form of the wet drive shaft (p/n MP105). The wear rate of this item will depend on pump alignment and speed. For example, if the pump is grossly misaligned the wet drive shaft may require replacement in less than one year. However, if the pump is well aligned and run at maximum continuous speed, this part should last approximately 18 months. A pump run at slow speed may never require a replacement drive shaft. Drive shafts are an economical replacement part."

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
search vortech dryside fix on reefcentral - someone did a diy write up along with bearing model numbers. Not to hard from what I remember but there are some crucial steps.

Dahenley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever follow my thread and build/rebuild your DrySide?

by the way, you can contact Ecotech and tell them the problem. i believe they will discount you a DrySide with a Working dryside trade. (this is what i have heard)

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever follow my thread and build/rebuild your DrySide?

by the way, you can contact Ecotech and tell them the problem. i believe they will discount you a DrySide with a Working dryside trade. (this is what i have heard)

Yes, they gave me a discount on one. I got a used mp10 to mix top off and the dry side went and they replaced it at 25% off i recall./

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I just sent in two pumps I was having problems with. I had them back in a week. They replaced all the parts needed with no questions at all. Only had to pay to ship it to them. They have amazing service. Just go on there site and print out a form and ship the box with the form. If you have any questions pm me and I can walk you threw it.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I just sent in two pumps I was having problems with. I had them back in a week. They replaced all the parts needed with no questions at all. Only had to pay to ship it to them. They have amazing service. Just go on there site and print out a form and ship the box with the form. If you have any questions pm me and I can walk you threw it.

Thats if they are in warranty, he is not. If its not in warranty they are diffrent but still work with you. I had a mp10w es replaced three times in one month and finaly requested a hole new unite and they just sent it to me like a brand new one in the male and didnt evan ask for the old one back.

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was made in 2007 they said. I was worried about the warranty to. They just replaced it for free. Its worth a shot.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread, going to have to keep this in the back of my mind for when my Vortechs hit the year mark.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eco tech marine has awesome customer service I had to send a few things back and they just sent new ones out without even asking questions!!! They got a customer for life...1smile1

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow they where not that nice to me. I mean but they took care of me like i said i finaly just requested a new pump because opbviously this one was messed up and they just snet it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back