MP40 vs Nero 7

ErikEdmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just bought a Waterbox Infinia Reef 150.4 and am looking for a couple wave pumps. I've narrowed it down to Nero7s or MP40s. The Neros are cheaper enough that they're pretty appealing if the quality level is similar. Does anyone have an opinion on which, if either, makes more sense for this tank? It's a 4', 110 gallon display. I'm planning to do mostly LPS to start, before possibly adding SPS once the tank is established. Thanks in advance.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just bought a Waterbox Infinia Reef 150.4 and am looking for a couple wave pumps. I've narrowed it down to Nero7s or MP40s. The Neros are cheaper enough that they're pretty appealing if the quality level is similar. Does anyone have an opinion on which, if either, makes more sense for this tank? It's a 4', 110 gallon display. I'm planning to do mostly LPS to start, before possibly adding SPS once the tank is established. Thanks in advance.
Aye, we all have an opinion! :) If you're planning on placing them closer to the bottom, i'd go with the MP40s to avoid long cables inside the tank - but that's just my personal opinion! Both are great.

I do like the easiness of cleaning the MP40s because you just remove the wet side. It is so, so convenient!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to find people with either pump who hate and love them. I have not used the Nero, but the mp40 appears to have a longer track record of longevity - neither are like Tunze reliable. Many hate the software for both - these are not tech companies so if you expect a lot, you might be let down with either. I have gravitated towards Tunze because they last for a decade and have the best customer service in the US so I am probably not the best person to ask, but I would get the mp40 out of these two.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two secondhand mp40s in my 150 gal - so far they have worked great and easy to setup

OP
OP
ErikEdmund

ErikEdmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the MP40s. It sure didn't feel good spending that much, but the sale on Bulk Reef Supply today made it hurt a little less. I can't wait to get the tank up and running.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pump will work, but not having cords in the tank is worth a lot to me personally. Personally, I would go mp40 for a cleaner tank, but if you want to go cheaper just get something cheaper like a jbao, It will do just as well as a Nero for much less. If you’re going to have cords in the tank just use cheap power heads.

OP
OP
ErikEdmund

ErikEdmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pump will work, but not having cords in the tank is worth a lot to me personally. Personally, I would go mp40 for a cleaner tank, but if you want to go cheaper just get something cheaper like a jbao, It will do just as well as a Nero for much less. If you’re going to have cords in the tank just use cheap power heads.
I bought the MP40s.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Nero 7 and MP60s in my tank and the Nero 7 is just as capable and strong pushing water. Mobius makes it easy to set schedule and pattern on both.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you went with the 40's. now invest in 2 more wetsides so you can change them out and not lose the flow in the tank while you are cleaning the dirty ones. Get you some of that citric acid so you can let the dirty ones soak and clean up easier and better. Don't user vinegar to clean as that can lead to the magnets swelling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back