MP40Q and Ecotech Customer service

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 MP40Q and a MP10Q. The dry sides have been a trouble.
The third one on one 40 is finally stable and whisper quiet. However the other one started to go noisy over the last couple weeks and getting worse.

All of this is normal unfortunately. What seems to have changed is the customer service.

Previously I would be asked for a video, proof of purchase and s/n of the item. Now they want me to ship the entire 2nd unit back to ecotech. Is this a recent change? With all these problems I did not buy a spare. What would be a reasonable way to go through this short of purchasing an entire new unit?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh then yeah they’ll cover it you’ll just have to pay for shipping.

OP
OP
Daenion

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of the RMA. My question revolves around the fact that I did not have to send in an entire unit for this before since that requires a complete removal of one of the powerheads in an active aquarium.

I would understand this out of warranty but as I said 5 months with 3 failures is a bit too much to take in good faith.

For full disclosure when this first happened mid August I offered to send the initial unit in as the tank was mostly empty but this was turned down and it was explained that the video serves as a diagnostic tool.

This time around there are 8 fish in the tank and I cannot remove half of my in tank circulation units.

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I am very happy to hear that ecotech did right by you, it is stories like these are why I am not jumping on the current MP40 sale. I am sure they are better power heads for my reef than my gyres but I just cant see spending another 400-700 on these units just to roll the dice on questionable quality for marginally better water movement. When you start charging 400 bucks for a unit..you are getting up there in the price range where defect free quality is the expectation whereas you shouldnt have to rely on customer service for when it craps out this early.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I am very happy to hear that ecotech did right by you, it is stories like these are why I am not jumping on the current MP40 sale. I am sure they are better power heads for my reef than my gyres but I just cant see spending another 400-700 on these units just to roll the dice on questionable quality for marginally better water movement. When you start charging 400 bucks for a unit..you are getting up there in the price range where defect free quality is the expectation whereas you shouldnt have to rely on customer service for when it craps out this early.
Same. I would like to add 2x MP10 but having sent dry sides in numerous times for my MP40s in and out of warranty keeps me from ever buying more.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back