MP40wQD Bearing Replacement

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a deal on a couple of used MP40wQD pumps but one of the dry sides has a pretty noticeable amount of bearing noise that I can hear from across the room vs. the other one which is basically completely silent.

I did some searching but I haven't found any info on replacing the bearings in the newer MP40wQD pumps and I suspect the repair process isn't the same as the non-QD version.

Has anyone replaced their MP40wQD dry side bearings before? What bearings did you use? Does anyone know if there's a bearing replacement guide out there for the newer MP40wQD pumps?

Thanks!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they had bearings to be honest. Curious to see what others say.

I did replace an entire wet side recently because the housing swelled and cracked around the magnet.

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully the wet sides are in good shape! I definitely checked those before buying but didn't think the dry sides would already be bad since both pumps are <1 yr old.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a step by step, but might give you enough info to get it done:

MP40 QD Sound

And I'm sure @TheEngineer would be able to answer any additional questions you might have.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to open up the dry side just to see. I’ve got a few QD models at home that are pushing 4 years and none of them show any signs of dryside problems. Perhaps the prior owner failed to fully note the dry in dryside. Once water gets inside, bearings may not be all that’s needed.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is less then one year contact Ecotech to get it replaced. Hopefully the original owner didn’t register it. If they did ask them to contact Ecotech to get the replacement.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done this before and it fairly easy besides getting the bearings off. Be very careful with this. Your bearing sizes are 607ZZ and 698ZZ

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully the wet sides are in good shape! I definitely checked those before buying but didn't think the dry sides would already be bad since both pumps are <1 yr old.

Under 1 year, will be covered under warranty. No need to DIY

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work now but I'll check the serials when I get home. I bought these used. If they've not been registered and I don't have the original receipt, how do I prove they're less than a year old? I'm also just going by what the local reefer that sold them to me told me as far as knowing their age goes.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

OP
OP
derekh

derekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this before and it fairly easy besides getting the bearings off. Be very careful with this. Your bearing sizes are 607ZZ and 698ZZ

Well dang I just ordered some 608ZZ bearings because that's what TheEngineer said he found in his MP40wQD. I'll have to open it up to check. Maybe I'll wait until after contacting Ecotech before doing this though as I don't want to void the warranty if there's still one available.

Any advice on removing the bearings and pressing the new ones on?

Thanks again!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well dang I just ordered some 608ZZ bearings because that's what TheEngineer said he found in his MP40wQD. I'll have to open it up to check. Maybe I'll wait until after contacting Ecotech before doing this though as I don't want to void the warranty if there's still one available.

Any advice on removing the bearings and pressing the new ones on?

Thanks again!
Yes I would definitely check with Ecotech before breaking it open. If they can replace it that’s the route I would take.

I made a little device the slid in between the bearing and the housing. The put it in a vice and slowing punched it out with a small punch. As for putting them back on I used a small amount of WD40 sprayed on a rag and just coated the spindle and bearing and it pressed right on. Some are a little more difficult than other I’ve come to find.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back