Mp60= fish loss.....users unite!!!!!

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy, I also turned my pumps to night mode when the lights are off. This is so I can give the sleeping fish some rest. I think I have it set to 50 or 60 percent on night mode.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha mine are at 50 percent during the day my tank can't handle the blast at 100 percent the fish and rocks go crazy!!!! i think there a little big for my tank....:sad:

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss, maybe it would be good to get one of gooch's power head magnet structures to put around it, to help prevent fish from getting to near to it..

coralcity

Mike
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking of getting one on my 185g tank. how noisy are they? if any and what is your tank thickness?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine are set on yellow "reef crest iirc????"

Try looking at some of the other modes and see what you think. I really like the nutrient export mode. Dana Riddle has done some experimenting that shows that the back and forth wave motion does a better job of minimizing the boundary effect around corals.

CJ

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the anwsers you seek...... how to rid yourself of dying fish due to the mp60's!!!:matrix:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking of getting one on my 185g tank. how noisy are they? if any and what is your tank thickness?

I've had my MP60 for a couple months now.

IMO they are pretty noisy, like a loud computer fan. There is no noticeable hum, just he noise of the fan on the motor, which is a loud whining noise.

So far no issues with getting fish sucked in, although, I haven't added any of my smaller fish into the system.

The pump is insanely powerful.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I made for the MP-60's. It would probably work witht he large Tunze Stream pumps too. But I don't have those dimensions so I do not know for sure. I will get that information if there is a need.

That cup inside measures 4.5" wide at the biggest point and necks down to 3.25" So the opening more than fits. The cup is also 5.25" tall so that gives you an idea of the depth. I was able to go with just three Sure grip 100's. I was thinking four would give me more play and let me be more creative but it also adds about $50 to the cost. So I went with three. Should be plenty.

Like I said this has to be tested before I make any more. But I think it should help hide it and also give you some protection for fish. It is open enough that it should draw plenty of water through it. I put as many openings as I could without hopefully making it weak. We will see. It needs to dry two more weeks before I can finish it up.

Here is one side.
002-31.jpg

Bottom
003-28.jpg

Other side
004-34.jpg

005-29.jpg

Front shot.

006-25.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's pretty cool man!!!!!! it will be interesting none the less.... looks like it should work great the nosy fish won't be able to get near the cage since the blast is coming directly out the front.....

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ceramic. I won't know its true weight until after it is fired and the magnets are placed inside them.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is with the mention of the incredible undertow, will mounting the mp60 inside anything choke off the pump. I have read ecotech threads where they told people not to put even mp40's close to the front corners. I don't know the answer but just wondering if maybe someone else does.

sent from my Droid Incredible

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to them last year and showed them a prototype. The person I talked to didn't think it would be a problem. I have had no issues with the people using them on the MP-40's. If there are, no one has said anyhting. As for how it will perform with an mp-60 I guess we'll find out in about three weeks. That's the reason I made only one. I can tweak it if it isn't right the first time. I have made some with either open tops or bottoms for the MP-40's. I haven't seen a performance issue with those either. I do not think these will restrict the flow. They are still pretty open.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to them last year and showed them a prototype. The person I talked to didn't think it would be a problem. I have had no issues with the people using them on the MP-40's. If there are, no one has said anyhting. As for how it will perform with an mp-60 I guess we'll find out in about three weeks. That's the reason I made only one. I can tweak it if it isn't right the first time. I have made some with either open tops or bottoms for the MP-40's. I haven't seen a performance issue with those either. I do not think these will restrict the flow. They are still pretty open.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. From the looks of yours, it has all kinds of holes to draw the water in. Looking forward to an "all is is well" update in a couple weeks...lol

sent from my Droid Incredible

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back