Mr OK, first reefing attempt with a Aquatop Recief 24G

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, new reefer and just kind of dived into the hobby feet first with lots to learn.
My spelling and grammar can be horrible at times, so feel free to ask if confuse you all.

My LFS has been directing me on getting the tank set up and the water tested.
To start off its Auquatop Recife 24g with the following:
1-20lb bag of Caribsea Fiji Pink Live Sand
13ish lb's of Caribsea Purple Dry Rock (i forgot the exact weight)
5ish lbs of Caribsea Live Purple and white rock (same not 100% sure on the weight)
Was set up with the stock sponge, stock skimmer, stock light and stock pump and media baskets (plan on upgrades)

As i have said above, the LFS have been testing my water and 2 weeks ago they gave me the go ahead that i can add fish and corals as the water tested great.
I have also been getting my RO water and Premade saltwater from the LFS until i can get a RO system set up and place to store big 55 gallon trash can of water.

I want to try and get a way on depending on my LFS shop for the test and everything, are there any test i should be running weekly on the water, and if so any recommendation on what kit i should get.

Some upgrade i am waiting on for UPS to drop off is
1-AQUAEL 100W Ultra Heater
2-Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 (475 GPH) (Should i just add one to the tank or both?)

Future upgrades will be the protein Skimmer, but the current spot is very small 3x3, so maybe get the Icecap k-1 another member with the same tank has,
or the aqauamx hob 1.5 hangon (but they seem sold out everywhere, and bulk reef say may or so for stock to be in)

For the light i am looking at upgrading to the Aqua Illumination Prime 16 HD LED Reef Light

So i am up for idea and suggestions also.

Finally have attached when i first set up the tank and added water. One of the Top rocks have been changed a little, but overall the aquascape looks the same.

Thanks for reading.
Mr. OK.

20220226_120827.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank at my office and I love it. I fill 2 of the 3 stackable filter 'boxes' with plain cheap filter floss, by the way. I'm not running the skimmer it came with; don't overload the tank with fish (i.e., nor with fish food) and you may not need one either. Best wishes, and keep us posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank at my office and I love it. I fill 2 of the 3 stackable filter 'boxes' with plain cheap filter floss, by the way. I'm not running the skimmer it came with; don't overload the fish with fish (i.e., nor with fish food) and you may not need one either. Best wishes, and keep us posted.
Thanks for the tips Jumbo, I was did pick up some filter floss for the first media box and in the 2nd i am going to put bag of chemi pure elite in it and leave the 3rd box with with the ceramic filter rings. So far i have been happy with the tank...

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I also use ceramic rings— in the bottom box. I know some people don’t like the long tall sponge in the first (left) chamber, but I do. I think it’s great for beneficial bacteria, and it’s very dense so it doesn’t get dirty (penetrated by gunk) often.

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first water change today, roughly 4.5 gallons and i did not make to much of a mess.

My tank i 16x16x16 and i added a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 (475 GPH), and it looked like a hurricane was blowing through, is that to big for my tank, or should i direct the head towards the rocks or something.

But any how, here is picture of the tank as it stands.

The following is stocked in the tank:
1-Ocellaris Clownfish (I had a 2nd one but he died within 4 days of getting him)
1- Royal Gramma (It been there for over week, but i barely ever see him, he hides in the rocks).
1- Zoa Frag
1-Green Torch
1-Fire Cracker coral
2 Kenya Tree's (it was one but a piece fell off so i put in two spots)
For my cleaner crew
3-Turbo snails
1-Emarald crab

I am opening for suggestion for any other corals, fish, ect ect ect, to add.
And finally tonight i hope to install the heater that i just got, Tank usally sits around 68 degrees, and read it would like to me more up towards 77-78 degrees F.

Thanks
Mr. OK.

Attachments

• 20220327_183240.jpg
    20220327_183240.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have order a some test kits for the corals and water.
1-ai prime light with mount
1-Aqua Illumination Nero 3 Powerhead
Was hoping to have them today or tomorrow, but Paypal randomly selected my payment for a 72 hour hold.

Also got a bunch of new coral from @Living Reef Orlando sale this past week, which pics will be coming as i get my dslr charged.

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, my skimmer pump died, so looking for a replaceeeement, and I can not seem to get my nitrates under 10ppm. Any suggestions on either 2?

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, my skimmer pump died, so looking for a replaceeeement, and I can not seem to get my nitrates under 10ppm. Any suggestions on either 2?
For the skimer, I would go back to your LFS and see if it is still under warranty. If not, they could at least point you in the right direction for a replacement. Since it is such a small powerhead, it probably wont be too expensive.

Nitrates at 10ppm? - I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, in general the typical "acceptable range" is 1-10ppm. Years ago, we used to shoot for 0 Nitrates, but lately we have come to learn that we need some Nitrates in the system for proper coral nutrition. I think YouTuber MelevsReef runs Nitrates at around 20-25 and his tank is doing great!

I would say look at you tank. If it is doing well at 10ppm, then don't sweat it.

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have order a some test kits for the corals and water.
1-ai prime light with mount
1-Aqua Illumination Nero 3 Powerhead
Was hoping to have them today or tomorrow, but Paypal randomly selected my payment for a 72 hour hold.

Also got a bunch of new coral from @Living Reef Orlando sale this past week, which pics will be coming as i get my dslr charged.
Great choices on the light and Powerhead. The Nero's are hard to find these days. I was thinking about getting either a Nero 3 or 5 for my 50 gallon, as my LFS has them in stock at their store. Online, it's a hole 'nother story.

Be sure to post pics when you get them both on your tank!

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Some good info here. I also purchased the same system and just added water yesterday and letting it do it's cycle. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations on pump upgrades? I'm running the stock pump while it's cycling, but the return output doesn't seem very strong. Any suggestions for a better pump that fits in the chamber would be helpful.

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Some good info here. I also purchased the same system and just added water yesterday and letting it do it's cycle. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations on pump upgrades? I'm running the stock pump while it's cycling, but the return output doesn't seem very strong. Any suggestions for a better pump that fits in the chamber would be helpful.
I have not, YOu maybe able to measure the return area and contact Bulk reef supply and se if they can help. Mine is drain as i had issue and moved all my stuff to my new waterbox i got a few weeks back. Once i save some cash i plan on starting it back up again.

BigDangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have the stock return pump in mine and pointing it straight up to the surface. Also have a wave maker in it. Just finished cycling it about 5 days ago and added a couple clows in it. Cant wait to see it a year or so from now!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back