Mr. Porters 210 SPS

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back in October 2017 post Hurricane Harvey cleanup, an Awesome guy named Andre (psxerholic) whom had the unfortunate event of Harvey actually flood his home, offered to sell me his 210 which he managed to keep going throughout the entire storm and flood. I couldn't deny the chance to upgrade from a 150 into a 210. Especially being this was coming from a fellow Houston Reefer whom had to have one of the best tanks I've ever seen at the time.

So this will initially backtrack to the initial acquisition of the Tank post Harvey condition, continuing through the updates to Stand and Canopy, the change over, and the continuation from Present day as you follow along.

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the day of pickup was Oct 29th 2017, PSX noted his ordeal in the wake of Hurricane Harvey and the steps he took to keep his livestock alive through such. The aftermath had the aquarium go from the pics attached.

Thus a lot of work was ahead.

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-30-17, After the big cross town move and kicking my wifes car out of the Garage, the madness had begun. I had no idea how I was going to rebuild this but knew however I approached it, I wanted to make it as seamless as possible. With each tank I've owned one thing or another always begged for improvement post setup. Maybe it was just as technology and equipment progressed there was a need to redefine. Or maybe I just rushed into it and couldn't wait to have it up and running...probably this huh? So I wanted to take my time and do it right....So first thing first.....lets clean. The salad lady had to be pretty PO'd with the amount of vinegar I took off the shelf from Walmart, but 2 fill-ups of 5 gallons of vinegar to 205 gallons of water worked it's magic on the tank to clean and breakdown the dead coralline. All day affair and water bill increasing...but hey...I'm upgrading :)

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By 11-5-17 I had the tank rinsed and inspected for leaks. Everything was good so proceeded to redo the plumbing. The power panel installed was dry and operational so I cleaned it as well as I could until I would figure out whether to utilize or break down. Additionally I started toying around with the idea of an elevated platform for the rocks to be lifted off the sand bed, semi floating reef I guess, but more just wanted to keep flow moving underneath the rockwork. Additionally I started getting busy with the sanding and staining of the skirt. Canopy at this time was still under development as I had multiple considerations on how I wanted to proceed.

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12-5-17 Between the 2 coats of stain, waiting for drying, and multiple coats of poly I had plenty of time to rinse the tank multiple times, as vinegar still lingered in my garage for a very long time. The salad lady can have it and I'll stick with Ranch dressing for the next 15 yrs. So this time it's starting to come together. White oak is feeling soft and slick with the poly and it's starting to look pretty. I settled on a canopy design that would allow a 4 row (2 front-2 back) 60" t5s & 3-radion g4 pros for the canopy lighting. I wanted the canopy to hinge up to allow room for me to lean into the tank if needed, thus the front panel on the canopy needed to be removable. On top of the fact the wife wanted to maintain the distinct features of crown molding being incorporated into the build, so I had to get slick and get a bigger paycheck for more white oak (and stain and poly). The framework of the canopy was nice cheap and light pine, but the heavy oak panels was a different ball game. While the stain and poly was doing it's thing I also started to build the super duper cool control panels I see on these forms.

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By 12-9-17 I had the old electrical panel removed and the new high-tech super awesome control panel installed. I had to cut a door though to the side of the skirt thus making me emotional to cut into the already stained and poly wood. I ordered two dj pro switches for manual controls of the equipment and had sections orientated for the controllers. Additionally made some changed to the overflows as something that drove me nuts in the 150 RR I had at the time was the gurgling sound. Thus the standpipe for the overflow was a design pulled off a youtube video where a coupler would muffle the sounds coming from the 1"w x2"l holes cut out of the pipe which the water would fall over through. Worked like a charm I must say.

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12-20-18 more crown molding was a acquired and I began to attach such to the skirt along with a tiny shelf, the before and cut fitments are displayed. Placement of equipment for the Vectra M1 and 3d printed controller holders were affixed to the panel, and the finalization of the canopy aside from some trim was placed onto the empty tank. It was quite exciting as I was very close minus a couple paychecks for a the 3rd and final (expensive yet awesome) G4 Pro. Could Santa bring me one since I was such a good little reefer dude???? Nope he sure didn't....lol

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the depression of Santa not delivering the G4 Pro, I continued on adding the ventilation fans to the canopy and firmly affixing the molding. The inside of the canopy was painted with white appliance epoxy to give it a nice reflective and strong/cleanable surface. All lighting wiring was ran and affixed to the top for a weight check to ensure the lid stays were performing as needed and acrylic splash guards were cut and installed to block any saltwater from splashing onto the lid stays. The tank was ready for the move aside from the 1 missing lighting component.

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-15-18, Happy New year/New tank!!! So the debacle that turned into an all day affair was the delicate balance of moving the current 150 tank and it's inhabitants over 5 ft so the new 210 gallon tank could be put into it's place. So between me, 6 rubber made totes, and a send the wife to my sisters with the kids day the dance began. The gameplan was to maneuver all the rock & corals into totes allowing me to sllliiidddddeeeee the 150 gallon tank over and then refill. Thus that's exactly what I did. With careful consideration of the rocks and corals being moved in a large Tupperware container as to not expose them to air and prevent any bacterial die off (thanks PSX for the tip), the transfer process was slow, methodical, and encompassed many extra power heads and heaters acquired through the years, but ended in success with no setbacks aside from the fact I couldn't figure out how the heck I had everything arranged the first time. I wasn't about to backtrack pictures and attempt to rectify it though being I was planning on this happening once again in 3 weeks....yes 3 weeks. I also did a 20% water change and saved the water for when the 210 was to be put in place. Next day on 1-16-18 I had a couple buddies come and help me maneuver the 210 into place. The 210 next to the 150 made it look so tiny.... The tank was filled with the "dirty" water from the 150 and 2 vials of probiodigest was added. 60lbs of rock that had been curing for the last 3 months were also added and thus the cycle begins...literally. Over the course of the next 2 weeks, the Big 3 Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate were monitored and the tank progressed rather quickly through it's cycle. About 30 blue leg hermits were added to keep things moving along.

IMG_3082.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3-18. I was content by this time that the tank had run it's course. I forgot to add the sand bed was all new sand as I didn't want to try and deal with a potential spike from transferring and stirring the old. All of the live rock & inhabitants we slowly transferred into their new locale. It was an adventure and a relief at this point. Yet a little uneasy. I wasn't sure if the cycle was enough and if the probiodigest had established enough of a footprint. I know from the 150 my bioload was stable and I would be transferring over a bulk of such on the live rock, but the sand bed, new surface of tank as well as skimmer I wasn't sure. No additional fish were added thus there shouldn't be any increase, only the possibility of the new water maybe affecting the old bacteria? IDK, was just playing worst case scenario and about to buy stock in both red sea as well as hanna as there would be an array of testing occurring on a daily basis until I got my warm and fuzzy feeling.

ps...don't judge me on the castle as it has a sentimental attachment to a bluefaced angel I had named William Wallace. Thus in order for me to upgrade I had to convince the wife I would tear down a 110 gallon fowlr and upgrade this tank......happy wife happy life, you know the deal. Thus the only thing I had left of my Freedom fighter was his castle, thus in memory I will affix multiple montis to adhere and encrust of the entire thing. Miss ya William, you were the best fish I ever had...

IMG_3089.JPG

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-23-18 And here we are. The journey is far from over but I am happy with the way it turned out so far. Test was sent out to ATI to establish baselines for trace elements. Things to tweek but the everlasting challenge of the reef and the balancing act we play is all that keeps me into it. The challenge of maintaining a self enclosed ecosystem. The enjoyment of being able to sit back and drink a cup of coffee and marvel at the fact you are sustaining life in a box. Thanks for reading so far and I'll add my equipment and stocking list here shortly.

Note my corals are young as the 150 was a change over from a semi-reef in January 2017 to a SPS. I try and catalog the growths of them throughout so as I post I might post the original acquisition of that specific coral for the before and after. Hard to see growth in a week but in a month I always see a big difference. I welcome any tips or advice and willing to share what I know. Wouldn't be where I am today without other hobbyists.

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3468.PNG

IMG_3469.PNG

IMG_3470.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment Log/Chemical listing/current level of maintenance

Lighting
3-Ecotech Radion Gen4 Pros
2-LET retrofit 60" t5 (4 bulbs total-all giessman Blue)

Pumps/Wavemakers
Ecotech M1 Vectra (return)
2-Ecotech MP40
2-Jebao RW8

Sump/Add ons
Trigger systems emerald 39
Bubble Magnus 7 Protein Skimmer
Tunze ATO 3155
Jebao 3 head doser
3 chamber dosing container (seachem fusion 1 & 2 in vats 1&2 current rate of dosing is as follows-Fusion 1 3ml@ 9 times a day & fusion 2 8ml@ 9 times a day offset to dose 1:30hrs from fusion 1 (dosing levels adjusted based on test results if needed))
4-ac infinity fans (mounted 2 exaust (left side)-2 input in canopy (right side)-tied to inkbird heating controller)
Ecotech battery backup
2-cheap 300watt glass heaters (tied to Inkbird controller)
Inkbird heating/cooling controller

currently perform a 10% water change every 2 weeks.
Testing is performed twice a week at a minimum by both hanna checkers (cal/alk/ph/phos) & red sea (no3/cal/alk/phos/mag). Biweekly testing of Iodine/Iron/Potassium (red sea). Might be overdosed on the testing but like to have a mutual consensus. Hanna is a better UOM but red sea is consistent. Log is kept with charts to document fluctuations. ATI was sent in recently and returned so I will utilize again in 90 days for trace element monitoring and validation of test accuracy of current testing equipment. (testing was performed prior to ATI sample pulls to have a baseline to match upon ATI sample tests).

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Coral/Fish Stocking lists
Fish
Black Leopard Wrasse
Black Leopard Wrasse 2
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse 2
Djardini Tang
Dory
Green Dragonet
Lawnmower Blennie
Ocellaris Clown
Ocellaris Clown
Potters Wrasse
Purple Tang
Red Dragonet
Yellow Coris Wrasse

Corals
Aqua sd Rainbow Millie Acropora
Battle corals Battle Juice Acropora
Battle Corals Glowstick Acropora
CRT Aqua Marine Jewel Acropora
FHC Blue Rocket Acropora
FHC Dark Side of the moon Acropora
FHC Golden Sky Acropora
Jason Fox Foxx Flame Acropora
Jason Fox Sour Twist Acropora
Jason Foxx Blue Dreams Acropora
Joe the Coral Acropora
Nicks Purple Passion Acropora
ORA Baby Blue Stag Acropora
ORA Pearlberry Acropora
ORA Red Planet Acro Acropora
ORA Scribbs Acropora
Psx Candlelight Acropora
Purple Bonsai Acro Acropora
Purple Garf Bonsai Acropora
Purple Slimer Acropora
Reef Ready Grape juice Acropora
RR Triple Shot Acropora
TCk lightining Bolt Acropora Acropora
tricolor Valida Acro Acropora
Tyree Pink Lemonade Acropora
unk Acro
unk Bali Acro
unk Bali Acro
unk Bali Acro
unk Bali Acro
WT Creamy Millie Acropora
WWC Destiny Acropora
WWC Frosty Acropora
WWC Ultimate efflo Acropora
PC rainbow Acropora
red dragon Acropora
Blue Candy Coral candy cane
JF Pink branching Cyphastrea Cyphastrea
Jingle Bells Cyphastrea
Meteor Shower Cyphastrea
WWC Bizzaro Cyphastrea
cornbreds skittles bomb Cyphastrea
Neon Green Favia Favia
WWC Necromancer Favia Favia
Orange Frog Spawn frogspawn
Green Hammer Hammer
Purple Hammer Hammer
Jedi Mind trick Montipora
Orange Acan micromusa
WWC Purple Acan micromusa
Appleberry Montipora
Blue Encrusting Montipora
Blue polyp cap Montipora
Bubble Gum Digitata Montipora
Elkhorn Montipora Montipora
German Blue Digitata Montipora
Hispada Montipora Montipora
JF Fruity Pebbles Monti Montipora
Leng Sy Cap Montipora
melonberry Montipora Montipora
Mystic Sunset Montipora
Neon Green Cap Montipora
Orange Digitata Montipora
purple cap Montipora Montipora
Tubs Stellata Montipora
Rainbow Montipora Montipora
Red Montipora Cap Montipora
Spongodes Montipora Montipora
Sunset Montipora Montipora
superman monti Montipora
Supernatural Montipora Montipora
tyree Sand Dollar Montipora
Tyree Undata Monti Montipora
WWC Chili pepper Monti Montipora
seasons greeting monti Montipora
WWC purple Monsters palys
WWC High voltage Platygyra platygyra
ORA Kelly Green Psammoscora psammocora
scoly scolymya
Warpaint scoly scolymya
Black Hornets Zoanthid
Blue Hornets Zoanthid
Fire and Ice Zoa Zoanthid
Goblins fire Zoanthid
LA Lakers Zoanthid
Twizzlers Zoanthid

All corals are logged by Date/Source and Quarantine observations over a 2 week period post Dip, scrub, and remount. QT setup is a simple 10gallon aquarium with t5 6 bulb setup for lighting with HOB filters; duration can vary depending on what is noticed but usually keep them in for about 2 weeks in which case I can't buy new corals lol.

Capture.PNG

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today we begin the correction treatment of the trace elements which were low in the previous icp test sent to ati.

I selected to go with a local reefers new product, here on r2r (psxerholic), called “reef moonshiner”. See his build thread

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...-sps-reeftank-up-within-a-week.339591/page-13

Currently upping the following with 1/4 of the correction dose to take my time and slowly adjust to the desired recommended levels on the icp; manganese, bromine, & fluorid.

We’ll follow 2 select corals to note progression starting today to see if adjusting those levels have affect on coloration and skeletal formation of new growth. Can’t measure precise but I’ll do the best I can with visual observation.

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as promised. I took a picture on the 24th of March of a Nicks purple passion frag I had. The first photo is such. The second photo is of the same coral taken May 8th. It appears that the coloration has increased in addition to the growth. Next ICP test will go out on June 9th so I’ll know a little more in relation to how the correction doses held.

I’m still dosing manganese to .49 ppm weekly being manganese dissipates.

3d6179f2bb12d166d9e7c47851d69efd.jpg

899cdf52eae2b7f638fe3aa7d339a884.jpg

OP
OP
MrPorter

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a wile since I posted and for a pretty decent reason, I ended up catching some black bugs that began to decimate the little acros I had. I ended up cutting every colony to salvage what I could and placed the fresh cuts into a Frag tank setup I had acquired. I segregated LPS & clams into a 53 gal tank and then began experimenting on the remaining encrusting acro's in the display. Whether it was sheer dumb luck or not I ended up doing tests with Prazipro and @ a .75 ml per qt ratio was able to kill them in a 12hr span (I think thats what killed them). I ended up dosing every tank (even the display with fish in it) with the same procedure but got so paranoid that I took all my live rock out and killed it off. By July 2018 I had reintroduced all of the salvaged corals to the display tank in what I consider a semi-restart.

Since then I have incorporated a new qt regiment for any new additions with 3 dips and a 2-4 week-2 chem treatment in qt. My qt regiment before just wasn't enough and since in my experience the prazipro worked I have incorporated that into the qt regiment. Corals are bought in batches in order to keep them in line with the qt timeline

qt regiment is as follows now
temp/dt water acclimate
Cut off frag plugs
Dip-1 Bayer 5-7 minutes
Dip-2 Coral Rx or Prime Coral Dip 5-7 minutes (inspect previous dip for critters)
Dip-3 Reef Dip (seachem) 5-7 minutes (inspect previous dip for critters)
attach new plugs (inspect previous dip for critters)
introduce to qt (water is from display)
Dose qt with Prazipro (3ml per gal) and let it run its course for 5 days
in unison dose Dr. G's coral dip (1ml per gallon) on day 1
Do 10% water change from DT twice a week to keep parameters in line with DT (dose prazipro at 10% ration from water changed)
On day 6 add carbon
Day 7 apply remove carbon & add 2nd dose of prazipro for 5 day treatment.
During the course of those 2 weeks observe for signs of duress, bite marks, eggs etc....

As usual this hobby keeps me on my toes, but I'll post more to keep this up to date. Pics of progression since restart will follow.

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been going very nicely. Rolling up on August as the 1 year anniversary since the restart after the black Bugs. Quite a bit of little children’s to attend to.

Also picked up an ACR from Aquarium Engineering and had it hooked for two months.

f868d79352df5c26ba8668158fb29045.jpg

b361c5b363c8782127273116263282be.jpg

1b0bbdedd76186ff9aab3a6f62bd965a.jpg

6dc45762c911ab8539c76731aa2ff2f9.jpg

a78a545f366fa3926eb3643bdba3a485.jpg

df3397f12cac4624a9aaf9ecaa18162d.jpg

72e817b3d081ef3fc0c4d70f2b4c9e15.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks great and glad to see you rebounded

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back