Multi-Tank Plumbing Advice

BBestvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attempting to make some adjustments to a recent multi-tank system I'm working on. Essentially I have fish tanks vertically placed on a rack and I'm trying to figure out how to setup some of the plumbing. The tanks are all configured the same, internal overflow boxes on the left side, bulkhead for return line on the right. I'm mainly interesting in the drain setup at this time. There is a sump on the bottom of the rack, similar setup, the drain enters the sump on the left and the return pump is in the rightmost chamber of the sump.

So, my question is, can I plumb the overflow boxes of the tanks into a single drainage line? My thought is creating a durso pipe at the highest tank, running the drain line straight down, into a T-fitting at the next overflow box. From there, the drain line would continue down to the sump. This would be the simplest way of plumbing the setup I think, as it would only require a single durso pipe for the entire line. Would this cause any issues?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work as long as your pipe can handle the flow .
What i would do.. On the tanks i would put a elbow aimed down then another aimed either left or right Then a T FITTING.. Say if your drains are 1 inch .. make the t fitting 1x2x2 and use a 2 inch stand pipe..
This will help reduce noise ,Keep water from entering say the middle tank if you are working on it or have it empty. and allow you a stand pipe much larger then each of the 3 drain sizes.. You could use a 1x1x1 t fitting instead of the first elbow and extend the top of it above the tank as well

Good Luck

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back