Multicolor Angel can't bite his food!

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT's a multicolor angel and had him eating great. mysis/brine, some nori, etc. i put him along with some other fish in my DT and he got roughed up pretty good by some resident tangs for a couple of hours, but the next day they had all mellowed out and all was well. However, it now looks like he can't see right. At feeding, he charges right up to the food, but when he bites he totally misses the food. Sometimes he will get it, but its less than 50% hit rate. It looks like he has no depth perception or something. No external injuries to his eyes i can see. Anyone seen anything like that? Explanation? Suggestions?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a pic it’s hard to tell but I would suggest putting him in an acclimation box until he recovers if this lasts more than 3 days or so because I’d be worried he’d start starving and get picked On in a weaker state. You could also try masstick and/or nori if he since he won’t have to catch the food from the water

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is definitely not stressed. Swims in and among the tangs now as if he has been there all along. He is eating, just not like he was. i fed masstick in QT and he never liked it. The best way to describe is like a baseball batter that gets fooled by a pitch. He hones in on the food, sizes it up quickly, bites, but barely misses it. Really weird.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the different flow in the DT vs QT has him thrown off a bit? Plus there are other fish now...may just take a couple days to adjust? No expert here, I noticed the same thing when I moved my blenny from a 29g to a 90g. Took him a day or so but he’s got the flow figured out and rarely misses anymore.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday evening I fed and he was much better. Maybe the flow and other fish did throw him off. He seemed much more assertive. My tangs are pretty aggressive feeders. Fingers crossed it continues and I can get him back in shape. I appreciate the replies and thoughts.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m willing to consider a Multicolor but are they among the more fragile and less durable of the dwarf angels?

However before a Multicolor I’m more willing to get one of the pygmy angels, a Flame, or if my situation allows me to, even a Joculator (love em). Depends on hardiness and health of the specimen and availability for me.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed into the water column with flow on and i've noticed angels are just kind of hilariously bad hunters of moving food. they're benthic fish by nature feeding off of rocks and what not so it makes sense, but watching wrasses mow down moving food vs my flame angel cracks me up.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the 2 Little Fishies Pouch mesh Feeder & put frozen food in it for picking/grazing. The pouch is worth the price for me, because with them magnet you can adjust position (dry hands).

It comes with an extra pouch. But most importantly the pouch is CLOSED on the SIDES - so food stays in place. The cheaper ones are open on sides so useless for meaty foods.

I feed in water column with turkey baster too. But I always put a bit of lightly thawed frozen in the pouch feeder. I smush it slightly so a tiny bit protrudes on feeding side. My less assertive butterflies & angels love it! The more assertive eaters snatch food in the column. The more timid fish pick on the feeder. My go to is the very nutritious LRS Reef Frenzy. A few times a week I miss in a some food with a little sponge (good for angels).

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m willing to consider a Multicolor but are they among the more fragile and less durable of the dwarf angels?

However before a Multicolor I’m more willing to get one of the pygmy angels, a Flame, or if my situation allows me to, even a Joculator (love em). Depends on hardiness and health of the specimen and availability for me.
I have had several diff
Try the 2 Little Fishies Pouch mesh Feeder & put frozen food in it for picking/grazing. The pouch is worth the price for me, because with them magnet you can adjust position (dry hands).

It comes with an extra pouch. But most importantly the pouch is CLOSED on the SIDES - so food stays in place. The cheaper ones are open on sides so useless for meaty foods.

I feed in water column with turkey baster too. But I always put a bit of lightly thawed frozen in the pouch feeder. I smush it slightly so a tiny bit protrudes on feeding side. My less assertive butterflies & angels love it! The more assertive eaters snatch food in the column. The more timid fish pick on the feeder. My go to is the very nutritious LRS Reef Frenzy. A few times a week I miss in a some food with a little sponge (good for angels).
thats a great idea. i saw that product. may give it a shot. Angel seems to be doing fine though thankfully.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have had several different dwarfs over the years. The Flame is probably going to be most assertive. The multicolor seems to have settled in and doing just fine. no more or less assertive than the others. A lot just depends on the individual fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back