Multiple Dragonets

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to plan WAY in advance and currently have an empty 210 gallon tank, with a 40 gallon sump. The plan is, maybe years down the line as we are moving within the next 2 years, id like to set it up, or maybe even a larger tank, as a large mixed reef. The issues is, as i was going over what fish id like to include, I realized i want a blue mandarin dragonet, red mandarin dragonet, and a yellow spotted mandarin/goby. I know males would fight, but was wondering if 3 would likely get along in a 210 or larger. Ive had mandarins before but only singles. Just curious, as im making my future wishlist.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size, mature with tons of rock, that should work.

They will jump at night, make sure you lid that. 2BF79BD2-442C-4D9B-93B1-FDF4412FBDAC.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to plan WAY in advance and currently have an empty 210 gallon tank, with a 40 gallon sump. The plan is, maybe years down the line as we are moving within the next 2 years, id like to set it up, or maybe even a larger tank, as a large mixed reef. The issues is, as i was going over what fish id like to include, I realized i want a blue mandarin dragonet, red mandarin dragonet, and a yellow spotted mandarin/goby. I know males would fight, but was wondering if 3 would likely get along in a 210 or larger. Ive had mandarins before but only singles. Just curious, as im making my future wishlist.

try going female and male on the blue and red to improve odds they will not spend too much energy chasing one another... If what I call a psychedelic (seems to have a number of newer trade names) is what you call yellow spotted ... mine is a compulsive chaser... I have a 180 gallon and my psychedelic female chased my blue female quite a lot BUT I had two females... I always wished the smaller had gone in as a male

If they do lots of chasing, then this lazy easy banana peel (skin) spirulina method is one way to ensure they have lots of extra calories to burn - my psychedelic mandarin (female) is named Orson Wells (male name) because SO SO SO fat LOL

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old 300g had a 100g fuge filled with rock. I had a mating pair of green mandarins, and a trio of ruby scooters. All fat as crap.

I noticed males don't seem to care about other makes but females don't like other females.

I plan to do the same with the new tank but with a male spotted mandarin as well. Once the tank matures that is.

OP
OP
Lllrrr232

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try going female and male on the blue and red to improve odds they will not spend too much energy chasing one another... If what I call a psychedelic (seems to have a number of newer trade names) is what you call yellow spotted ... mine is a compulsive chaser... I have a 180 gallon and my psychedelic female chased my blue female quite a lot BUT I had two females... I always wished the smaller had gone in as a male

If they do lots of chasing, then this lazy easy banana peel (skin) spirulina method is one way to ensure they have lots of extra calories to burn - my psychedelic mandarin (female) is named Orson Wells (male name) because SO SO SO fat LOL
So i should be good, just have to ensure they have enough energy in case they do wanna play tag every now and then? Im hoping to have at least 1 of each gender to lessen the chances of fighting, but ill def check that link out bc that makes a lot of sense! More food supply should make them less aggressive too, or so i would think. I plan to get a bigger sump to ensure my pod supply is as big as possible to manage all 3 well. Just thought id get others opinions / experience. Thank you!

OP
OP
Lllrrr232

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old 300g had a 100g fuge filled with rock. I had a mating pair of green mandarins, and a trio of ruby scooters. All fat as crap.

I noticed males don't seem to care about other makes but females don't like other females.

I plan to do the same with the new tank but with a male spotted mandarin as well. Once the tank matures that is.
They all did well, besides some chasing every now and again? No one got too beat up? I feel like if you had 5, then i would likely be okay with 3. But i guess everyone has different experiences since the fish sometimes have quite abnormal personalities lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all did well, besides some chasing every now and again? No one got too beat up? I feel like if you had 5, then i would likely be okay with 3. But i guess everyone has different experiences since the fish sometimes have quite abnormal personalities lol
Scooters are different and not generally as vicious as mandarins... Of course it will all come down to the personalities of the specific fish you end up with.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was pretty minimal chasing. I got the ruby trio figuring one female would be a spare but they got along.

Fun part was I had multiple wrasses as well and a never ending supply of pods for them to eat.

I also added a auto baby brine feeder and they ended up looking like grapes.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gal tank, I have a female Ruby Red that's been great for me even though it only eats pods. I just recently added a female green spotted Mandarin. It's been 1 week and so far no sign of aggression. We'll see how it goes.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there are plenty of food, they should not fight. They will if they start to compete for food when food is scare. PaulB as multiple mandarin species in his tank, even three Mandarin dragonet. My friend have two large fat male Mandarin Dragonet and they only chase each other when they happen to see each other.

For me, one pair of Mandarin Dragonet is all I want in my tank. The male Mandarin Dragonet is the most beautiful. exotic fish there is. There are beautiful fishes and there are exotic fishes, but there are no other beautiful and exotic like a Mandarin Dragonet.

mandarin2019010607-jpg.3039184

mandarin2019101401-jpg.3039186

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back