Multiple euphyllia next to each other?

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was at the lfs today and they had a nice and chunky torch for sale and I wanted to get it but I refrained myself from doing it because I also have a "branching hammer" what the other lfs told me it was but as showing my local LFS it they think it may be a octospawn for a frogspawn. Anyways I know that they have stinger tentacles and can sting and kill corals but I have watched a few videos from fragbox coral on YouTube and he states and has videos showing torches hammers and frogspawns all touching and in close proximity and we're healthy as can be and happy. Does anyone have experience with this? Could I manage this? Reason I ask is because i only have 2 ai prime light so my hotspot is not a big area and I know hammer and torches etc need higher par.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was at the lfs today and they had a nice and chunky torch for sale and I wanted to get it but I refrained myself from doing it because I also have a "branching hammer" what the other lfs told me it was but as showing my local LFS it they think it may be a octospawn for a frogspawn. Anyways I know that they have stinger tentacles and can sting and kill corals but I have watched a few videos from fragbox coral on YouTube and he states and has videos showing torches hammers and frogspawns all touching and in close proximity and we're healthy as can be and happy. Does anyone have experience with this? Could I manage this? Reason I ask is because i only have 2 ai prime light so my hotspot is not a big area and I know hammer and torches etc need higher par.
As soon as I read your thread title I recalled that very video from Fragbox corals! I am no expert here, but I wanted also to do a mixed euphyllia garden.
Let's see what others say!

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes same here! I just love the motion and movement of these lps corals. And would be awesome if I could get my stubborn clowns to host it

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** also I stated I have 2 ai primes that's is incorrect I only have 1 ai prime***

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches can touch each other. Hammers and frog/octo spawn can all touch but they can not touch each other.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only torches are euphyllia. Hammers and frogspawn are not. My hammers and frogspawn do fine touching each other but not my torch. They shrink back if I place the torch too close.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only torches are euphyllia. Hammers and frogspawn are not. My hammers and frogspawn do fine touching each other but not my torch. They shrink back if I place the torch too close.
Unfortunately this is an incorrect statement. Hammers are euphyllia ancora and frogspawn is euphyllia paradivisa

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much misinfornation.

Euphillia can touch each other, but they do not like it. They are essentially stinging each other and it is not good for the health of either coral.

Like most coral, hammers and frogspawn should be given space.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all are euphyllia just different types. And I guess fragbox even though he had them all together and touching you guys are saying over time they will not be happy? Don't want to kill my awesome "branching hammer" or the torch I'm expecting to get today. I may move the Duncan from it's spot to be able to place torch there. Ok awesome guys thanks for your inputs and advice

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to "pick" the right suggestion when everyone states something different..

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much misinfornation.

Euphillia can touch each other, but they do not like it. They are essentially stinging each other and it is not good for the health of either coral.

Like most coral, hammers and frogspawn should be given space.
I've seen this. I have a couple hammers growing next to each other and there was definitely a dislike by one.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is an incorrect statement. Hammers are euphyllia ancora and frogspawn is euphyllia paradivisa
Actually..this may be an incorrect statement. I seem to remember an article reference here that hammers, frogs and octos got reclassified (or torches did, one or the other). Not really worth my time searching for it..but I could have swore I read something about this fairly recently.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a frogspawn, and 2 different hammers on a rock island.....no issues so far. They are touching when fully inflated. My torch is on an island of its own and not close enough to sting anything .

Attachments

• 20220624_190421.jpg
    20220624_190421.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 40

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually..this may be an incorrect statement. I seem to remember an article reference here that hammers, frogs and octos got reclassified (or torches did, one or the other). Not really worth my time searching for it..but I could have swore I read something about this fairly recently.
Well if that’s true I apologize, I’m just going off what I know to be true that I have read…it’s quite possible they were, they like to change stuff on us all the time just to confuse us I think!

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad we cleared this up! I can't speak for anyone else but I have a twenty head hammer next to a four head hammer for the last six months that periodically touch and they get along fine.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if that’s true I apologize, I’m just going off what I know to be true that I have read…it’s quite possible they were, they like to change stuff on us all the time just to confuse us I think!
I wouldnt lose sleep over it...just me being pedantic. I think for most of us, they will all always be considered euphyllia because...well who really cares the actual scientific classification.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to me saying i wasnt, i did.

Fimbriaphyllia is the name​

Doesnt exactly roll off the tongue

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to me saying i wasnt, i did.

Fimbriaphyllia is the name​

Doesnt exactly roll off the tongue

Thanks for the link. I'd never even heard of fimbriaphyllia

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back