Multiple Green Clown Gobies

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve read that these guys are territorial, but I’ve also heard that with other fish if you introduce them at a young age they will get along well.

My LFS has green clowns at maybe 3/4 an inch, these suckers are teeny.

And the one guy I got is small as well, but there were quite a few hiding together.

I was planning on him being the only inhabitant of my 10 gallon except for 2 hermits and coral, but if he’d come out more if there was a friend for him I’d get him one.

They also had Yellow Clown Gobies on the same rock, as well as a really pretty black form of the yellow clowns that I’d love to take home.

Would introducing the same species at this age negate territorial disputes later on? Am I better off getting a different goby? Or will adding another fish have no affect at all?

I stick to inverts most of the time. Fish are so complicated.

thanks,
Slapp

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with multiples of the clown gobies is if they are happy. If they are happy they pair up. Then they go into the middle of your favorite coral colony and start ripping out flesh to build a nice home/nest for the 2 of them. Singles I have kept for years and years without any nest building. A green and a yellow - no problem - But multiple Greens, or Yellows and black or Reds and they are happy to get to nest making.

Dave B

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with multiples of the clown gobies is if they are happy. If they are happy they pair up. Then they go into the middle of your favorite coral colony and start ripping out flesh to build a nice home/nest for the 2 of them. Singles I have kept for years and years without any nest building. A green and a yellow - no problem - But multiple Greens, or Yellows and black or Reds and they are happy to get to nest making.

Dave B
Awww,
Thanks for the input. My tank is just a nice overgrown garden of gsp and Xenia, so even in their best efforts I think nest building would be cool.
Nevertheless, for the time being I’m going to leave him by himself, I saw him perched up on my heater and then again scooting around the sand when the ramp down for sunset was going on.
I think I just worried myself too much.
But if there’s no harm besides the nest-building I’d love to pop out and get him (not actually sure just seems like a him) a girly.
Thank ya so much

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two green citron gobies in a 56 gallon. They have never fought but they have never paired up either. I introduced them to the tank together and this display is set up for gobies and blennies with a lot of rock and hiding places. They do perch regularly in my duncans and trumpets. The duncans especially spend more time being closed because of the gobies than I would like but no permanent harm seems to be happening to them.

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two green citron gobies in a 56 gallon. They have never fought but they have never paired up either. I introduced them to the tank together and this display is set up for gobies and blennies with a lot of rock and hiding places. They do perch regularly in my duncans and trumpets. The duncans especially spend more time being closed because of the gobies than I would like but no permanent harm seems to be happening to them.
Ok cool, I’ve got 20 lbs of very holey rock. Lots of hiding places. Thank ya

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back