Multiple niger triggers in 300 gallon?

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be a problem to have 2 odonus nigers in a 300 gallon tank? Current stock;
2.5 inch niger trigger
7 inch orange shoulder tang
3 inch chalk basslet
2 clowns (3" big and 1" small)
2 pajamas Cardinals
1 Yellowtail
1 blue devil
1 random damsel about the size of a half dollar
1 diamond spot goby
I would expect the current guy to be territorial at first. He is very passive in general, wondering if there is any chance I could introduce a smaller partner.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have taken a pic, I was at an lfs a couple a days ago and they had about 10 baby nigers in a tank, it was the cutest thing. BuT when they mature it may be risky. You can sex them but I don't think you can at 2,5", i think they need to be a little larger. The males have streamers, while the females have the blunt tail. Definitely more of a chance for success if you pull a male/female or even 2 females. But 300g is a good size tank to give it a go.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend that had 5 nigers in a 125g, he had absolutely no issues. The occasional squabble but no blood wounds. They will be fine in a tank your size, only issue is your current one might go after the new one at first. If it does it won’t last more than a week or so then they will get along.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept multiple triggers in a number of tanks, including niger. Like anything there are always exceptions.

Currently I have a 4 year old picaso, relatively young year or so clown and blue line. Blue is starting to control the tank, but no real issues. Tank is 200 gl.

I love tiggers, a pair of nigers would be cool.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back