Multiple Pairs of Clownfish?

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a large tank build and am beginning to select fish I'd like to have in the tank long term. My LFS suggested I might possibly be able to keep two pairs of clowns in the tank.

Have any of you been able to have two pairs of clowns in your tank? If so, what size was your tank?

The build I began a month or so ago is for an approximately 450 gallon, 6'W x 5'D x 2'H tank.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

hogger555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of gladiators and a pair of black ocelaris clowns in a 75 gallon with a footprint of 4×2. They do great, no aggression towards each other and they even all congregate together sometimes.

Alexoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same questioning as you are, and from what i could read here and on other forums, you need to have a fairly large tank, and to intruduce the clowns as juveniles at the same time, plus they'll need places to claim too, so you'll need at least two established nems to host the two couples.
That being said nothing garanties that it won't turn into an aquatic warfare in the long term, some have success, some don't.
For my part i'll wait a few months (tank is cycling right now) to have the chance to introduce a few nems before adding two pairs of juvenile clowns at the same time.
I'm no expert, but that's the infos i collected along the way.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of gladiators and a pair of black ocelaris clowns in a 75 gallon with a footprint of 4×2. They do great, no aggression towards each other and they even all congregate together sometimes.
I have a pair of ocellaris and later I introduced a Darwin’s juvenile which was risky but no aggression and same all three congregate together haha. It was so weird to me cause my pair have been together for a year and are like three times his size

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same questioning as you are, and from what i could read here and on other forums, you need to have a fairly large tank, and to intruduce the clowns as juveniles at the same time, plus they'll need places to claim too, so you'll need at least two established nems to host the two couples.
That being said nothing garanties that it won't turn into an aquatic warfare in the long term, some have success, some don't.
For my part i'll wait a few months (tank is cycling right now) to have the chance to introduce a few nems before adding two pairs of juvenile clowns at the same time.
I'm no expert, but that's the infos i collected along the way.
I have read where you can have several pairs of Ocellaris clowns and those that are captive bred you can have several in the same tank.

ReeferMadness01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 g and had two pair of clowns and one smaller loner. The pairs picked at each other alllll day, or until they were tired. The loner would just swim around them and have the time of its life in each of their nems No real damage was done.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back