Multiple pests coming at once... (Snails, bubble algae, vermitted snails)

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have had a hard time getting my tank stabilized which resulted in a Dino outbreak. I started dosing Phosphates and with a lot of patience they are almost gone. Caroline is slowly taking over again and my corals are starting to open up more, some zoa's are even showing fast growth. 2 of my zoas popped out 3-4 more heads in a matter of days. Sound great, but now I'm getting different pests.

There are 3 I'm currently struggling with.

1 Vermitted snails:

Not sure how I got them, and there aren't a lot yet, but they are all in places I can't reach in to get them. I tried using a nail clipper to cut them off but that doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have tips on getting rid of them?

2 Baby snails:

I have A LOT off baby snails. Some Nassarius (yes I checked to be sure), and a lot of other snails. They look like Nerites but with white shells so I'm not sure. Is this going to be a problem, or will a part just die from starvation and will it keep itself on a good amount?

3 Bubble algae:

I also seem to have a little bit of bubble algae. There is really just a little bit, so tomorrow during waterchange I will remove it. It's on a frag piece that's not glued yet, and on my wavemaker so that will be easy to remove. I however just wanted to ask here to be sure it's bubble algae. At first I thought it was eggs of some sort as the bubbles are really hard.

4 Hammer:

Just wanted to ask to be sure, does this hammer seem happy?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t sound to convincing… It’s atleast looking better then during dinos.
I just pulled a torch that had BJD all over one of the heads, ended up cutting half of it off and re-dipping to save the other half. So yes, yours looks reasonably happy from what I can see in the image.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails will help control or eliminate your vermetid snails. You need more than you might think though. I added five to my Fluval Evo 13.5 and it did the trick. They might even help control the population of baby snails.

For the bubble algae, you could try an emerald crab or a pitho crab. The emerald worked well for me, although I understand not everyone gets good results with them. Along with that option, control your nutrients and removed carefully by hand.

Cheers,
rant

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For the bubble algae, you could try an emerald crab or a pitho crab. The emerald worked well for me, although I understand not everyone gets good results with them.

for emerald crabs, try getting/requesting a female crab instead of male. in my experience i did notice the females are more docile and less likely to go rogue for you. pitho crabs are far more superior and will definitely not touch your corals :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back