Multiple tang plan

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading to a 400 gallon 5'x5' plywood lagoon style tank over the Christmas break. Having been in the hobby for more than a decade, I have learned to take things slowly and to carefully consider every new fish added. Currently in my 55 gallon, I only have a large 4" maroon clown, a bicolor pseudochromis, and a little yellow tang that has grown quickly from a little 1.5" guy to over 3" in the several months that I have had it. I have noticed that as it gets larger, it is getting more bold about hanging out around the maroons anemone hoard. They get along well enough, though the yellow has made a couple of empty threats with its scalpel tail. After the all have moved into the 400, I was planning on adding a hippo and powder brown of about the same size as the yellow. I've not had or heard of too many problems with yellow and hippo, but know powder browns and the yellow to some extent can be aggressive. I'm wondering if I should add the hippo first and let it settle in with the yellow, or if adding both at the same time, considering the tank size, would probably be ok? Maybe even the hippo should go first, but it will be in QT for 90 days and I kind of wanted to get the 400 occupied after it cycled. Thoughts?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 gallons is a rather large box of water. I would probably add the tangs at once so none of them had a chance to claim the tank or area before another. If you were adding other more peaceful fish would add those first. Then move the clowns, then all the tangs.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add them at the same time and keep them busy placing a mirror next to the tank. PBT and Hippo should be no problem with the yellow at all. I think they will all do great without many problems.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add another tang at the same time as the other two. With that large of tank get a tang that is the envy of small tank owners. Perhaps a sohal?

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people play up how bad it is. I have 5 tangs in my tank and introduced a sixth (3.5" Chocolate tang). He got bullied by the leader for a day and then afterwards all good. As long as they are of a different speciies I've never had issues.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add another tang at the same time as the other two. With that large of tank get a tang that is the envy of small tank owners. Perhaps a sohal?

I'll probably stop with those 3, we'll see. Would love to have a butterfly, but afraid tangs would bully and that it might try and eat my BTA's. Will probably add a dozen or so smaller damsels, firefish, etc. Lots more possibility with that size for sure. I take it you are in Portland? I'm just across the river in Washougal.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people play up how bad it is. I have 5 tangs in my tank and introduced a sixth (3.5" Chocolate tang). He got bullied by the leader for a day and then afterwards all good. As long as they are of a different speciies I've never had issues.

That's what I've read. Not worried about the yellow and blue but never had a powder brown. Thanks

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently have 11 tangs in my 500g 6’x5’ mostly softy reef... 4 yellows, 2 hippos, purple, large Bl Naso w/streamers, sailfin, Tomini, and white spine. No problems and I’ll probably add 3 or 4 more as I see them.

9DE6B91B-93F7-4C62-AF3B-19B553A7A830.jpeg
888814A8-DEF9-4A5A-9FA5-FD5B8DBC0C2B.jpeg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably stop with those 3, we'll see. Would love to have a butterfly, but afraid tangs would bully and that it might try and eat my BTA's. Will probably add a dozen or so smaller damsels, firefish, etc. Lots more possibility with that size for sure. I take it you are in Portland? I'm just across the river in Washougal.

sweet! are you on PNWMAS.org at all? I currently live in portland but I am trying to move to brush prairie to set up my 600 gallon tank :)

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank you should be fine. I love butterfly fish but hard to get to eat.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pyramid butterfly is reef safe and as long as arrives healthy usually eat after a day or two as they are platonic eaters not rock feeders. mouth damage is common amongst all butterflies during shipping, id order through your lfs so they deal with arrival health, not you. But i am overly cautious lol.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of reefers keep multiple tangs, so clearly it can be done. Not without some anxiety or drama. If two fish decide they ‘hate’ each other no home aquarium will be big enough. It’s also a good idea generally to keep individuals from different genus. Hepatus and the various Naso tangs are rarely a problem.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently have 11 tangs in my 500g 6’x5’ mostly softy reef... 4 yellows, 2 hippos, purple, large Bl Naso w/streamers, sailfin, Tomini, and white spine. No problems and I’ll probably add 3 or 4 more as I see them.

9DE6B91B-93F7-4C62-AF3B-19B553A7A830.jpeg
888814A8-DEF9-4A5A-9FA5-FD5B8DBC0C2B.jpeg
Amazing tank. I've had several rose bta's for two years that all seem to be doing fine but their tentacles have always been longer and less "bubbly" even before I bought them. I've had them under metal halide and switched to LED several months ago. Wondering what makes them look like yours?

IMG_0958.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%

Back