Multiple wrasses for 40 long

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially upgrading to a Nuvo 40 Long (36x19.7x13) and considering doing a wrasse dominant (4-6). I know because of the size I'm limited on selection but putting together a potential fish list.

Let me know what you guys think, any potential issues, other alternative wrasse, some to avoid or genera to consider. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

1) Pseudocheilinops ataenia - Pink-Streaked (owned)

2) Wetmorella albofasciata - White Banded Possum (had) or
2a) Wetmorella nigropinnata - Yellow Banded Possum

3) Cirrhilabrus lubbocki - Lubbock Fairy or
3a) Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis - Yellow Fin Fairy

4) Cirrhilabrus isosceles- Splendid/Pintail Fairy or
4a) Cirrhilabrus lunatus - Lunate Fairy

5) Cirrhilabrus naokoae - Naoko Fairy or
5a) Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis - Longfin Fairy or
5b) Cirrhilabrus exquisitus - (Fiji) Exquisite Fairy

6) Macropharyngodon bipartitus - Blue Star Leopard or
6a) Macropharyngodon negrosensis - Black Leopard

7) Halichoeres biocellatus - Red-Lined or
7a) Halichoeres chrysus - Yellow Corris or
7b) Halichoeres timorensis - Timor

Shiva89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever you decide to put in the tank, get a mesh screen lid on it. Wrasse jump all the time. Ive lots lots.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your 5 group I would avoid the naoko since they have a tendency to be aggressive and your tank will be relatively small with more than one flasher. I would also take off the exquisite since I believe they get pretty large. Not familiar with the long fin. I think a pin tail would be fine but I’ll leave that to the fairy wrasse experts. When you add the fairy wrasses, you’ll want to add them all at once. I would also try to add the possum and pink streak at the same time. If I were you, I would stick to 4 or a max of 5 and then get a pair or two of your selections if possible

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially upgrading to a Nuvo 40 Long (36x19.7x13) and considering doing a wrasse dominant (4-6). I know because of the size I'm limited on selection but putting together a potential fish list.

Let me know what you guys think, any potential issues, other alternative wrasse, some to avoid or genera to consider. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

1) Pseudocheilinops ataenia - Pink-Streaked (owned)

2) Wetmorella albofasciata - White Banded Possum (had) or
2a) Wetmorella nigropinnata - Yellow Banded Possum

3) Cirrhilabrus lubbocki - Lubbock Fairy or
3a) Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis - Yellow Fin Fairy

4) Cirrhilabrus isosceles- Splendid/Pintail Fairy or
4a) Cirrhilabrus lunatus - Lunate Fairy

5) Cirrhilabrus naokoae - Naoko Fairy or
5a) Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis - Longfin Fairy or
5b) Cirrhilabrus exquisitus - (Fiji) Exquisite Fairy

6) Macropharyngodon bipartitus - Blue Star Leopard or
6a) Macropharyngodon negrosensis - Black Leopard

7) Halichoeres biocellatus - Red-Lined or
7a) Halichoeres chrysus - Yellow Corris or
7b) Halichoeres timorensis - Timor

I know that I am late to this thread, but wanted to add just in case you hadn’t stocked your tank yet. A couple of the fish your list are currently in my IM 30L, which has similar dimensions to the 40L (36” wide).

Currently have these in the tank:
- pink streaked wrasse
- yellow banded possum
- McCoskers flasher
- Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis (Ruby/Red Long Fin)

Pintails are one of my favorite wrasses, but they are on the bigger side when full grown (5”) and probably wouldn’t be good in the tank long term (or I’d have one in mine haha). Although I’ve been curious to try given it’s a 36 inch tank.

I’d avoid almost all of group 5, I have had several naoko fairies (in 150g). They are beautiful, but pretty dang aggressive. I have a full grown Ruby long fin currently, and I feel he’s gotten too big for the 36” tank (he’s going into my new larger system when it’s completed). They are also/can be aggressive. If you choose to get one, make sure you add him to the tank *last*.

If I was choosing from your list, I’d stock:
- pink streaked
- yellow banded possum
- multicolor Lubbocks
- yellow coris
- McCoskers flasher (they stay on the small size and are beautiful).

If you do end up trying a pintail in your tank, I’d be interested in hearing your experience. There is some info online that suggests they might be okay in a 36 inch tank, but I’ve always shied away from trying. And by the way, one of the large vendors in winter park have some pintails on sale for $50 this weekend :oops:

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jkcoral appreciate the feedback and nice to know you have a few of them in a similar dimension tank. I still haven’t pick up the 40L but pretty sure I will get one this holidays to upgrade my IM20. It appears not many folks keep multiple wrasse in this size tank but there are options if you do the research. I been looking into it more and totally agree with the group 5 being too much for the tank.

One thing I haven’t look into is life expectancy for them. I recently lost my first fish (purple firefish) after almost 3 years and was surprised but after research their life expectancy is 3 years which seem low so that’s something I need to look into. I heard flasher have short life expectancy and also lots of folks recommend 4’ tank which is why I didn’t consider them for this tank. I do agree the McCosker is a beautiful fish and I initially reached out to Hunter about it he said I was ok for 3’ tank.

Top Pick so far:
- Pink Streaked (own)
- Splendid/Pintail
- Blue Leopard
- Yellow Corris

One of these:
- White banded or Lubbock

Do you have other fish on the IM30 or just the 4 wrasses?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jkcoral appreciate the feedback and nice to know you have a few of them in a similar dimension tank. I still haven’t pick up the 40L but pretty sure I will get one this holidays to upgrade my IM20. It appears not many folks keep multiple wrasse in this size tank but there are options if you do the research. I been looking into it more and totally agree with the group 5 being too much for the tank.

One thing I haven’t look into is life expectancy for them. I recently lost my first fish (purple firefish) after almost 3 years and was surprised but after research their life expectancy is 3 years which seem low so that’s something I need to look into. I heard flasher have short life expectancy and also lots of folks recommend 4’ tank which is why I didn’t consider them for this tank. I do agree the McCosker is a beautiful fish and I initially reached out to Hunter about it he said I was ok for 3’ tank.

Top Pick so far:
- Pink Streaked (own)
- Splendid/Pintail
- Blue Leopard
- Yellow Corris

One of these:

From what I’ve read, it seems that the flashers and fairy wrasses have a life expectancy of around 5-6 years. This has been my experience, over the years I’ve lost a few “old guys” after about 4.5-5 years.

I didn’t know that about fire fish. I would have thought they lived a little longer than that, especially in captivity.

I do have 2 clownfish in my 30g tank along with the wrasses, but they basically stay glued to their little fortress down in the back right corner and rarely stray far. They will occasionally have a standoff with the Ruby long fin, and he will flash at them and zip around a bit, but that’s about it. They seem to like the pink streaked for some reason and even let him hang out with them haha!

I like your top choices. And I think the blue leopard is a better choice than the normal leopard wrasse. I’ve had several leopards over the years and they all got pretty big, definitely bigger than the blue star I had.

If you stumble across any additional info on keeping a pintail in a tank with these dimensions, I would like to see it. There isn’t much out there, and I’m interested in hearing if others have done it successfully long term!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Top Pick so far:
- Pink Streaked (own)
- Splendid/Pintail
- Blue Leopard
- Yellow Corris

One of these:

Generally, nano fish don’t live past 2 or 3 years. Some last just over 1 year such as Trimma species. It’s the game we play in the Nano side of this hobby. In reality, many of the nano fish are just here to breed and not really do much in terms of caring for the reef so they need to mature quite fast and live just long enough to breed and then pass on.

Seeing that it’s a shallow tank, I wouldn’t do a Halichoeres species. The Macropharyngodon long term may become quite stressed in a smaller tank (More so to do with the height).
Generally, you want 18 inches for most fairies as when displaying, they do use that height a lot more than some expect. So generally your only big options are the Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops species.

However, assuming you want lower down rocks and do give that open swim room at the top of the tank, a slightly larger wrasse is doable. The Indonesian Lubbocki could work although in the long run you may find a male to be overly active. An Exquisitus or Rhomboidalis may also work but again could become relatively active long term.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, nano fish don’t live past 2 or 3 years. Some last just over 1 year such as Trimma species. It’s the game we play in the Nano side of this hobby. In reality, many of the nano fish are just here to breed and not really do much in terms of caring for the reef so they need to mature quite fast and live just long enough to breed and then pass on.

Seeing that it’s a shallow tank, I wouldn’t do a Halichoeres species. The Macropharyngodon long term may become quite stressed in a smaller tank (More so to do with the height).
Generally, you want 18 inches for most fairies as when displaying, they do use that height a lot more than some expect. So generally your only big options are the Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops species.

However, assuming you want lower down rocks and do give that open swim room at the top of the tank, a slightly larger wrasse is doable. The Indonesian Lubbocki could work although in the long run you may find a male to be overly active. An Exquisitus or Rhomboidalis may also work but again could become relatively active long term.
lfs i use have a nice wrasse in Coris aygula if only it didn't need a 300 gallon tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lfs i use have a nice wrasse in Coris aygula if only it didn't need a 300 gallon tank
That’s a species of Coris I love even as an adult but I have a thing for the wrasses people see as ugly haha.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think what you think of the following stocking? I found a nice slightly larger tank for sale with the following specs a 36x18x18 approx 50 display w 30 sump.

Owned
Yellow watchman goby
Pink Streak Wrasse

Additions
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse*
Cerub Dwarf Angel

Trying to add color variety and movement.

I noticed you mentioned the Exquisitus or Rhomboidalis but wouldn’t the rhomboidal required more space? I like that one a lot so if it works I can adjust my list, also like the Fiji variant exquisite.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think what you think of the following stocking? I found a nice slightly larger tank for sale with the following specs a 36x18x18 approx 50 display w 30 sump.

Owned
Yellow watchman goby
Pink Streak Wrasse

Additions
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse*
Cerub Dwarf Angel

Trying to add color variety and movement.

I noticed you mentioned the Exquisitus or Rhomboidalis but wouldn’t the rhomboidal required more space? I like that one a lot so if it works I can adjust my list, also like the Fiji variant exquisite.
I’ve not seen many rhomboids over 4 inches and even the 4 inch specimens were mature males. The other wrasses should work a lot. As for the Exquisitus, I would take a look at the Vanuatu variant which is just slightly nicer than the Fijian in my opinion. However the Fijian variation is also stunning.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No love for a sixline? One of the hardest working wrasses in my tank - on "petst patrol" 24/7.
Generally we avoid recommending six lines in wrasse gangs unless they’ll be the only wrasse. This is a species which can be nasty with other wrasses, especially the rock sleeping wrasses such as fairies and flashers. I have personally witnessed more aggressive sixlines than I have with peaceful sixlines. We also now have the option of a sixline looking wrasse that has none of the aggression - Pink Streaks.
9CFFB512-A1DE-4937-923C-EC2760534C44.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally we avoid recommending six lines in wrasse gangs unless they’ll be the only wrasse. This is a species which can be nasty with other wrasses, especially the rock sleeping wrasses such as fairies and flashers. I have personally witnessed more aggressive sixlines than I have with peaceful sixlines. We also now have the option of a sixline looking wrasse that has none of the aggression - Pink Streaks.
I'm really coming around to the premise that it's almost definitely environment for sixline wrasses. I'm on my second wild-caught peaceful sixline (his predecessor perished in an unfortunate misadventure).

My sixline is one of 7 or 8 wrasses in my tank.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really coming around to the premise that it's almost definitely environment for sixline wrasses. I'm on my second wild-caught peaceful sixline (his predecessor perished in an unfortunate misadventure).

My sixline is one of 7 or 8 wrasses in my tank.
How long have you had your 6 line? Juveniles can keep to themselves for a couple of years then suddenly snap on their tank mates when they mature.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your 6 line? Juveniles can keep to themselves for a couple of years then suddenly snap on their tank mates when they mature.

I have always loved and kept several fairy and flashers, and I do sometimes wonder if the six loneare quicker/more prone to become aggressive in tanks with other rock-sleeping wrasses.

It is still kind of amusing how aggressive they can be. I’ve had well behaved, peaceful six lines that woke up one day and chose violence. And the crazy thing is, once they start being violent, there is no “calming” them down. It’s some real Jekyll and Hyde vibes, but they never go back to being Dr. Jekyll haha.

Pink streaks are prettier anyways :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of years. But the six is fairly down on the food chain...
Hopefully yours stays submissive to your other wrasses and doesn’t turn on them one day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back