Wrasse compatibility and stocking

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've made a couple threads about my tank and how I should stock it, and I've finally (almost) figured it out.
I was wondering whether these wrasse would be compatible in a WaterBox 100.3. 70 gallon display, 100 gallons total. 3 foot length, 22" height, 24" width.
Timor Halichoeres Wrasse - Halichoeres Timorensis
Gold Nugget Wrasse - Xenojulis Margaritacea
Blue Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus Cyaneus
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella Nigropinnata

I currently have the Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse, I'm trying to keep it a really peaceful tank, and the other current inhabitants are a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Assessor and a Gold Head Sleeper Goby (the goby is eating frozen mysis and brine, pellets, and I'm seeding the sandbed with pods every other week.)
The other non-wrasse stocking is a trio of either Zebra Barred Dartfish or Pajama Cardinals, a Yellow Clown Goby and a Tiger Blenny.

From the research I've done, these wrasse should work well together, but I would really appreciate any input from you guys?
@Slocke @Petcrazyson @i cant think @SaltyT @Tcook @OrchidMiss , I figure that you guys are the Wrasse People to ask, but if not no worries!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've made a couple threads about my tank and how I should stock it, and I've finally (almost) figured it out.
I was wondering whether these wrasse would be compatible in a WaterBox 100.3. 70 gallon display, 100 gallons total. 3 foot length, 22" height, 24" width.

I currently have the Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse, I'm trying to keep it a really peaceful tank, and the other current inhabitants are a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Assessor and a Gold Head Sleeper Goby (the goby is eating frozen mysis and brine, pellets, and I'm seeding the sandbed with pods every other week.)
The other non-wrasse stocking is a trio of either Zebra Barred Dartfish or Pajama Cardinals, a Yellow Clown Goby and a Tiger Blenny.

From the research I've done, these wrasse should work well together, but I would really appreciate any input from you guys?
@Slocke @Petcrazyson @i cant think @SaltyT @Tcook @OrchidMiss , I figure that you guys are the Wrasse People to ask, but if not no worries!
I like it though I'd add the timor last and if you add a second flasher you might get more out of your blue. Paracheilinus filamentosus is my favorite.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First off I want to say you’re doing great for the goby!

It looks like you’ve definitely done your research, everything looks quite well. There are somethings that I’d like to point out that may help further.

It’s wonderful you plan on adding a Xenojulis! Honestly I think a 3 foot tank could suit it well long term, as long as there aren’t any aggressive or territory issues. Think of these guys as a larger lazier very easy to keep Leopard wrasse.

Wetmorellas are wonderful and you could get a way with a pair of you really like them. Very very cryptic so pretty rewarding when they come out. Rarely you could find one that is unlike others and decides to be the one of the leaders ask @jkcoral lol. Make sure they do find enough food as with your other fish plans your Wetmorella might be a bit slower to get its fill down the road. Your restocking pods every day so those are also a plus of the wetmorella. A Tiger blenny can sometimes bug small slower moving fish, so just keep an eye on that if the blenny isn’t liking the possum wrasse near it.

Paracheilinus cyaneus is a really beautiful flasher wrasse, and though I have seen they can get pushy with other flashers, seeing as it’s alone it shouldn’t be a problem. I do want to say that you will need to give him a little extra room to swim down the road, as these guys do like that open water swim room, so down the line a 4 or 5 foot tank footprint is preferable, but you should be able to enjoy your cyaneus for years! There are only few places where you can get them easily and for the right price a healthy specimen. Here’s an online stores that carry them that I have found great. I’m not one to trust many online fish vendors. https://reefexclusive.top/fishes , If you would like some other trusted places I’d ask @Crabby48 . I’m not quite sure where your located, so not quite sure what LFS are around your area. Id also like to point out the marinecollectors website. I trust this place very well, but the only thing I’d say take with a grain of salt are their prices.

Halichoeres are great and as you know they sleep in the sand and are great characters and great for pest control. I’d be a little weary adding a timorensis with the Xenojulis in a 3 footer, as timorensis can adopt that big bully character towards any wrasse quickly. As long as you see them play nice then it should they should be fine together, but later down the line I would also give the timorensis a 4 foot or 5 foot footprint, and this would also hold off its bully demeanor.

It looks like you’re doing great work and best of luck fish keeping! I hope I could have been a little help.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered twice from reef exclusive and first fish was a winner! Second fish will ship tomorrow.
Marine collectors and tsm are two of the bigger qt places. Few others I haven’t used or smaller places

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good advice here. A comment about your other planned fish. I love the barred dartfish. I would also take a look at the scissor tail dartfish. They look great in a small group. The clown goby is another great fish.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

My Possum wrasse is actually quite pushy, when I feed the tank it darts at the other fish to get them to leave the food alone, but I hardly see it otherwise!

The Gold Nugget is one of my favourites, just because of how much they look like a Leopard, but have less specified care requirements. They're also just so pretty.

I'm not huge into flashers, the only other ones I would consider getting are the Eightline flasher and the Filamentosus. All the others I like, you can't get in Australia. So I don't think there would be another flasher in the tank, unless I can get my hands on a Filamentosus, but pretty difficult to get here.

That's unfortunate about the Timor wrasse. There aren't a crazy amount of 'reef safe' Halichoeres here, I could get Melanurus, Two Toned, Chrysus, potentially Radiant, but that one is much harder to get here. The others are the Lime wrasse, Nebula wrasse, and more that have reps for getting aggressive, or aren't 'reef safe'.
Would one of the other available ones here be a better option? I do like the Timor, just not if it's going to be at the risk of other fish.

Thanks for all the store recommendations, unfortunately, the stores you mentioned aren't an option, given that I'm in Australia, but my LFS is super, they'll try to get any fish in. There aren't many reliable online vendors here I don't think.

I'll take a look at the Scissor tail dartfish, they're really cool, thanks!
I'm thinking of dropping the Tiger Blenny, because there are wrasse that I want more, and I'm trying to stick to a limit of 12-13 fish.

Thanks, this was really helpful, glad to know everything will work aside from the Timor.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

My Possum wrasse is actually quite pushy, when I feed the tank it darts at the other fish to get them to leave the food alone, but I hardly see it otherwise!

The Gold Nugget is one of my favourites, just because of how much they look like a Leopard, but have less specified care requirements. They're also just so pretty.

I'm not huge into flashers, the only other ones I would consider getting are the Eightline flasher and the Filamentosus. All the others I like, you can't get in Australia. So I don't think there would be another flasher in the tank, unless I can get my hands on a Filamentosus, but pretty difficult to get here.

That's unfortunate about the Timor wrasse. There aren't a crazy amount of 'reef safe' Halichoeres here, I could get Melanurus, Two Toned, Chrysus, potentially Radiant, but that one is much harder to get here. The others are the Lime wrasse, Nebula wrasse, and more that have reps for getting aggressive, or aren't 'reef safe'.
Would one of the other available ones here be a better option? I do like the Timor, just not if it's going to be at the risk of other fish.

Thanks for all the store recommendations, unfortunately, the stores you mentioned aren't an option, given that I'm in Australia, but my LFS is super, they'll try to get any fish in. There aren't many reliable online vendors here I don't think.

I'll take a look at the Scissor tail dartfish, they're really cool, thanks!
I'm thinking of dropping the Tiger Blenny, because there are wrasse that I want more, and I'm trying to stick to a limit of 12-13 fish.

Thanks, this was really helpful, glad to know everything will work aside from the Timor.
I've never heard a bad thing about a chrysus and my radiant is good as gold.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back