Murky Water

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2021
Messages
96
Reaction score
21
Location
New Brunswick
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Recently, I have been facing a small dino issue. Since the two pieces of coral died (for reasons I still can't figure out), I decided to do a blackout. Right now, the water is extremely murky. I will take pictures but it is nasty and the smell coming off the tank is also terrible. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I change the filter floss daily and run carbon but it doesn't seem to help at all.
IMG_5297.jpg
IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg
IMG_5294.jpg
 
What size is your tank? Do many water changes or 50%. Get a polishing filter to place in tank and it will clear up the murky. I use one when I clean my rocks and sub. When water is clear remove and clean, save for next cleaning.
 
Sounds like a bacteria bloom. Usually wc and time is all it takes to ride it out.

UV sterilizer will knock it out fast but I would use that sparingly bc your tank is still young and maturing.
 
Like Dkmoo says, UV sterilizer may help also. But still a good idea to use a polishing filter from time to time. I also use one on my fresh water cichlid tank.
 
its a 40 gallon and good idea its something I am looking into. and I am doing 20 gallon change tomorrow. Thanks for your help :)
 
This is a little better but bigger.

MarineLand Magnum Polishing Internal Canister Filter, For aquariums Up To 97 Gallons, 10.5 IN (ML90770-00)​

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new