Mushroom closed?

TeeSquared1214

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2024
Messages
280
Reaction score
161
Location
San Antonio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my mushroom a few weeks to about a month ago, noticed some weird activity from it acting normal, to not expanding/shriveling, then acting normal. I noticed a purple looking growth going down the side of the rock it’s on for about a week now. I look into my tank tonight to find it completely closed up. This is my first mushroom and it seemed to be doing fine the last few weeks. I haven’t changed anything that I can recall. What does this mean? Turned the lights on for a picture.
About a week ago is the first photo, followed by two photos taken a few minutes ago. First photo has an orange filter on the lens.

IMG_5334.jpeg


IMG_5493.jpeg

IMG_5494.jpeg
 
definitely moving foot to base, possibly splitting
 
They close at night pretty often. The growth on the side is likely it propagating itself.
See I’ve seen it shrivel up pretty small, but this lil guy just completely closed up. Haven’t seen it happen. Wasn’t sure if the purple was it’s “mat” but read they have pedals similar to anemones if I’m not mistaken.

Splitting would be a sign of stress or normal behavior?
 
splitting could be either ,at this point hope for the best, keep us updated...:cool:
 
splitting could be either ,at this point hope for the best, keep us updated...:cool:
More unexpected things have happened with this reef tank (my first saltwater tank in general) in the past couple months than I’ve seen with any freshwater tank. Nature is wild.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new