Mushroom coral growth rate?

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered whether I should cut my mushroom corals, I got to this conclusion as I have a friend that has a colony that has mushroom that just barely covered a rock in a year. I just want some advice in growing them faster!

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More nutrients will grow them faster. I would not bother cutting them just to try to have more mushrooms. You are risking killing the ones you have by doing that. Can you tell us about your setup and parameters?
Patience my friend, before you know it you will have plenty of shrooms.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More nutrients will grow them faster. I would not bother cutting them just to try to have more mushrooms. You are risking killing the ones you have by doing that. Can you tell us about your setup and parameters?
Patience my friend, before you know it you will have plenty of shrooms.
Not sure what my friend has that had them from so slowly but my numbers are

Ammonias 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 to 10
Phosphate last time was the lowest on test kit (don't remember the exact number)
Alk 8-9dkh
Salinity 1.24
Mag is 1200 something but within lower range
Calcium was 460

My nirates are high bcuz it's a predator tank with a ribbon eel and two dwarf lions
(Looking to upgrade my algae scrubber's light

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nitrate is not high so that is not the issue. What kind of mushrooms are we talking about and what kind of lights are you using?
The reason I asked this was because I was looking into getting mushrooms because my friend has some (despite the slow growth he has) I had a Yuma before that I burnt alive XD.... yeah...

I currently have a SINGLE actinodiscus. I'm looking into keeping rhodactis and some grassy looking ones with them. I'm also wondering if I can put my mushroom in the top layer under my toadstool. (it has light so its not starving them but is completely shaded so not burning them.)

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It all depends on the type of mushroom. Where you get it from. WhT type of light it’s used to. I have some that are doing reAlly good in higher light and some that I have to put in a cave pretty shaded for it to do good.

Diego Manoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mush likes a bit of nutrients in the water. Here im my mix tank some times I need to turn of the skimmer to rise a bit the nutrients, and also I feed every day my tank

Here, these hairy mush grows really faster (Also my dwarf lion zebra loves rest here :D)

20180804_170125.jpg

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mush likes a bit of nutrients in the water. Here im my mix tank some times I need to turn of the skimmer to rise a bit the nutrients, and also I feed every day my tank

Here, these hairy mush grows really faster (Also my dwarf lion zebra loves rest here :D)

20180804_170125.jpg
Relatable, my antennata is always on my corals. It's almost like they host specific ones.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back