Mushroom Leather dying?

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mushroom leather has been like this for 2 weeks and it keeps getting worse looking. I dipped him last week and he seems to keep getting worse. He did shed about a month ago and looked great and then one morning he turned. All of my big 3's are good except i am not detecting any nitrates. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks PS. I have always wanted this type of coral and I am really heartbroken about this.
IMG_2507.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG

I luv coralz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know I’ll I have is maybe he’s shedding again.. I know a long shot but maybe he could not be liking the light. Try moving him into less light keep us posted!!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried blowing off the shed with a turkey baster? Mine did much better after I did it. (Gently of course)

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you fragged any corals in the tank? I have noticed that my leather closes up when I trim back the Green Star Polyps in the tank. The GSP grow onto the overflow, and when I scrape them off the leather closes up for a few days.
And then, sometimes it just closes up for no reason. Could be for a few days...could be for over over a month. Sometimes it sheds several times in a row. They are just very unpredictable and make me worry more than any other coral in the tanks lol

OP
OP
Jennie

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried blowing off the shed with a turkey baster? Mine did much better after I did it. (Gently of course)
Yes i have and nothing changed. I moved him into more flow and light last night and no change as of this evening.

OP
OP
Jennie

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you fragged any corals in the tank? I have noticed that my leather closes up when I trim back the Green Star Polyps in the tank. The GSP grow onto the overflow, and when I scrape them off the leather closes up for a few days.
And then, sometimes it just closes up for no reason. Could be for a few days...could be for over over a month. Sometimes it sheds several times in a row. They are just very unpredictable and make me worry more than any other coral in the tanks lol
No, I am very new to reefing (9ish) months. so none of my corals are big enough to frag yet. i have the tank fishless right now but have a couple fish in QT that are ready to go in soon.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more you mess with these guys, the longer it takes for them to recover. they are pretty hardy, so unless you see black dead tissue, it is probably just adjusting. Leave it be for a month in the nice flow and light and it should open. A bit over two weeks and then more after that. Mine has been hiding for months because I have done so much to the tank. Just getting polyps again. I have had mine over 12 years and it is over 16", so just phases.

OP
OP
Jennie

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more you mess with these guys, the longer it takes for them to recover. they are pretty hardy, so unless you see black dead tissue, it is probably just adjusting. Leave it be for a month in the nice flow and light and it should open. A bit over two weeks and then more after that. Mine has been hiding for months because I have done so much to the tank. Just getting polyps again. I have had mine over 12 years and it is over 16", so just phases.
Thank you, I will leave him where he is now.

OdinCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more flow, more light, my leather sheds here and there and it looks the same, then it comes back nicer then ever.

More flow so the dead skin it is shedding will me removed faster, more light makes it shed faster I think.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back