Mushroom leather, removal and propagation

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow reefers,
I have this really pretty mushroom leather 8”+ when open but it has outgrown it space and much-needed real estate. My question is do I just reach down and cut it with some snips. Should I use a razor and slice it? What will happen with the stock that’s left in there. Do I need to worry about scraping it out Removing the rock is not an option as it’s part of the main rock work and actually moved off of the small rocket came in on. The tank is about 33 inches deep and the top of it is it sits about 6 1/2 feet, so I’ll be on a ladder diving in . My next question is. How should I propagate this into more pieces? I have a lagoon/frag tank with LPS/softy stuff in it but I’ve never had at a leather coral before here’s a photo of the mushroom from the back side this morning about an hour before the lights turn on. 11 AM. I would most likely be doing this work then as once everything wakes up it’s really hard to get to it thank you guys for chiming in. Let me know if you’re interested in a piece of the leather coral I’m happy to share it.

Sincerely,
Nick and Melissa
light strips 025.jpg

8F4829D7-56D5-4C18-8245-6FCA2596BDBA.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would use a razor blade and remove it as close to the rock as possible. That way you can work on propagation outside the tank as it will slime and could release toxins when you cut it. Then attach the stalk to a smaller rock either with loose rubber bands or some use a thread and needle.

What I have seen and just tried with one, just a couple days ago so no update. Is to take sharp scissors or razor blade and cut a 3/4-1” ribbon from the outer edge of the toadstool head. Cut that into 1” pieces and attach to rocks as described above or loosely wrap with like bridal veil so the new pieces attach to a rock. Place original and new pieces in a coral dip solution for 15-30 minutes. Then rinse well in tank water in a bucket before returning to your tank.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there’s a good possibility that you can take a long pointed object and pry it right off of the rock. The part of the stock closest to the rock tends to get tough unlike the tissue closest to the head. A new clean flathead screw driver would do great. Just get it in there and pry it off. You won’t hurt it. And yes, do exactly what @HankstankXXXL750 did cutting a ring around the head and mount each 1” piece to a plug or rock. I just did this a year ago. I’ll post a couple of photos in a few. Good luck. Also let the mothership heal in your frag tank with a bit more carbon than you normally use.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You did really well. Mine was a second one that I bought on an auction and it was smaller. When I recently made some changes I had a rotten spot in its stalk. I believe I didn’t take action quick enough as all of the little drags I made died.

OP
OP
707Nick

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a razor blade and remove it as close to the rock as possible. That way you can work on propagation outside the tank as it will slime and could release toxins when you cut it. Then attach the stalk to a smaller rock either with loose rubber bands or some use a thread and needle.

What I have seen and just tried with one, just a couple days ago so no update. Is to take sharp scissors or razor blade and cut a 3/4-1” ribbon from the outer edge of the toadstool head. Cut that into 1” pieces and attach to rocks as described above or loosely wrap with like bridal veil so the new pieces attach to a rock. Place original and new pieces in a coral dip solution for 15-30 minutes. Then rinse well in tank water in a bucket before returning to your tank.
That all sound great I will keep you posted. Happy holidays

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back