Mushroom Placement?

slingfox

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2023
Messages
3,170
Reaction score
3,186
Location
Northern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got my first mushroom coral. It is on a small frag disc. What kind of placement is recommended? I currently have the frag disc sitting directly on my sandbed. Should I instead mount the disc on some flat larger rock so the mushroom is not directly on the sand? I want to give the mushroom a chance to spawn some babies but am not sure how what setup is best for that.
 
I’m not nearly experienced enough to know what’s best, but in my experience, placing mushrooms on the sand bed leads to them getting buried or bulldozed by other bottom dwellers.
 
I’m not nearly experienced enough to know what’s best, but in my experience, placing mushrooms on the sand bed leads to them getting buried or bulldozed by other bottom dwellers.
So you mount mushrooms on the rocks scape but on a lower light/flow area?
 
Rock mount down low typically on sides of the tank in low light and flow. Rics can take moderate light though, Floridia and yuma

20231111_130807.jpg 20231111_130756.jpg 20231111_133536.jpg
 
Last edited:
So you mount mushrooms on the rocks scape but on a lower light/flow area?
I actually have three. One up high, one just above the mid-way point, and one an inch or two off of the sand bed. Flow is light to moderate. I don’t know that they’re thriving, as I don’t know how fast they typically grow, but all 3 look healthy.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new