Mushroom propagation setups

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
I've tried googling this and can't find anything. How does everyone keep and propagate their shrooms? On a rock? acclimation box with small rubble? How do you get your shrooms to move and leave babies? Just wait or do you do anything to help it along? Would love to get some advice and pictures. I have several higher end shrooms I would love to get babies of.

thanks!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've found that if you increase flow, the mushrooms will eventually turn loose and seek an area of lower flow in the tank. However, they leave little bits behind that eventually grow into adults again. The nice part about this is that you can then superglue the free-floating adult onto a substrate and relocate it. The bad part is that they sometimes land on other corals and sting them.

Although I've never tried it personally, I've heard you can run a rubber band across them and they will split in half.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in seeing others comments. I have a section of my frag system that I sectioned off with 6"high acrylic to cut down flow to that section where I keep my shrooms on rubble. Downside is they don't move and leave babies. I cut them when they're big enough.

George Hamblin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my shrooms in a small 4x4 basket because I have a small tank. And I just have some rubble rock in the basket. I just got my first bounce so I’ll be growing it in there as well as my Deadpool mushroom!

OP
OP
E

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the comments so far...anyone else want to chime in with what they're doing or preferably PICTURES?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FDDAAD11-7ECE-4A08-8F34-BF9210111835.jpeg

My kryptonite farm

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do the shrooms just walk around leaving babies?
Yessir :) I move the crushed coral branch they attached themself to every few weeks to check for babies. If there’s nothing I keep them in their spot, if there’s babies I move the mother over a little bit. They will be fine on their own without moving the branch, it just hard to resist lol.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky. I have never fragged or split a mushroom. They spread on their own. Sometimes to a point they need to be pulled out. You can seem em popping up everywhere But my tank is old.

Here are 2 very bad picso_O

D4576D71-D4AD-4537-B0C7-820AD1D38F87.jpeg

4D402340-2200-4DC1-9B95-906ED2ADC024.jpeg

OP
OP
E

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky. I have never fragged or split a mushroom. They spread on their own. Sometimes to a point they need to be pulled out. You can seem em popping up everywhere But my tank is old.

Here are 2 very bad picso_O

my chief mushrooms reproduce like crazy, but for some reason my bounces don't seem to be quite so prolific.

reef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same, just a mushroom box. Leave in there for a few months.

lynieboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the container?
I had a clear plastic container that looks like what you would get chinese soup in. lol it is probably where it came from. I drilled about 4 or 5 holes half way up and around the container for water flow and put some rubble in it and that is my "shroom" jail for when they take off on me and for when i found a baby on my powerhead.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several videos on youtube of folks propagating mushrooms. Basic idea is to use a razor blade and cut the mushroom into pieces. Ideally you want each frag to have a piece of the foot and to still be attached to something. If a mushroom gets detached then you can place it into a basket or bowl with rubble in a low flow and area and it should eventually reattach. I have personally not tried fragging mushroom yet but will do so soon since they seem to grow very well in my newish tank.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, I've found that if you increase flow, the mushrooms will eventually turn loose and seek an area of lower flow in the tank. However, they leave little bits behind that eventually grow into adults again. The nice part about this is that you can then superglue the free-floating adult onto a substrate and relocate it. The bad part is that they sometimes land on other corals and sting them.

Although I've never tried it personally, I've heard you can run a rubber band across them and they will split in half.
glueing bare mushrooms doesn't work. i believe they'll die off. would be interesting to see some success stories of this being done without the shroom already being attached to something

as far as the rubber band trick goes..that is interesting!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back