Votes: 11 3.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Older but still great video from @Tidal Gardens on fragging mushrooms!

Also, have you ever fragged a mushroom? Tell us how it went and any tips you may have!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reaction is WHY? They frag themselves. Every time I look at my tank the mushroom count has doubled. :)
Some shrooms are stubborn sometimes and multiply slowly.
My first mushroom fragging experience was accedintal. I had a shroom attached to two separate peices of rock. I tried pulling them apart carefully but a part of the foot stayed attached to the other rock, I thought it would be a goner but it grew and developed a mouth.
Below is an image of it today (the pink one)
image.jpg

only tip I have is to dip them in iodine after fragging to Prevent bacterial infections, and to leave them in a low light low flow area.

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work at a LFS and we tried an experiment one time with mushrooms. We took 2 mushrooms and put them into a food processer, which chopped them up into tiny pieces. We then dumped the mushroom mix into a tank with a crushed coral bottom and very low flow. After about 3 weeks, we had hundreds of tiny mushrooms starting to grow, pretty crazy!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev I just tried the foot booger technique on an electus ill let yall know how it goes:D So far so good and sure I'm already seeing a mouth form!
Mama
20220405_104119.jpg

Booger( Bad picture its only about the size of ball point pen tip)
20220405_104028.jpg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! And it didn't go well. The dang things were so slimy I could figure out how to secure it and it ended up down the overflow where I assume it lived a happy life.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Rev I just tried the foot booger technique on an electus ill let yall know how it goes:D So far so good and sure I'm already seeing a mouth form!
Mama
20220405_104119.jpg

Booger( Bad picture its only about the size of ball point pen tip)
20220405_104028.jpg

Heck yes!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this counts, but I attempted to glue a sangria mushroom back on its plug (you can guess how that worked out). I finally gave up and just let it find its happy spot.

medtoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! And it didn't go well. The dang things were so slimy I could figure out how to secure it and it ended up down the overflow where I assume it lived a happy life.
I frag mushrooms just to control the growth. I cut them off the rock with scissors and put the pieces in a cup the rubble. I place the cup in my sump amongst the chaeto so the water flows just over the top of the cup. In a week or so the mushroom frag‘s are attached to the rubble and I’ll bring them to my LFS. I also destroy the stumps left on the rock with some calcium hydroxide to keep them from growing over and killing my other corals.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an example of mushroom fragging going extremely poorly:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really depends on the species. Some can be fragged through the mouth, others will wither and dissolve away, if they are cut. There is a very high probability of infection, so must sterilize. I've stopped trying to frag mushrooms mainly due to the fact that they don't want to grab hold of anything, once they've been cut. At this point, I just let them do what they do best. Multiply on their own.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (2 months ago) fragged my Frankenstein bounce. It was about 1.5" in diameter well attached to a tile.
I sliced it perfectly in 4 sections and all went perfect and all healed well.
I'm gonna give it a try on one of my Game Over shrooms

Back