Mushroom question...

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mushroom come off its rock and now I've got it set up to attach to again how long do they usually take to attach? I dont like have a 2lt soda top in the tank. :p

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is happy, it will attach quickly (inside of 24 hours). It may not like where it is. I have four or five lavalamps in my frag tank, and they are never happy. I assume too much light, as they are always going under the frag plug. One time I had a nice softball size rock full of red mushrooms, it was good for about a year, then one day they all let go, lol. Most died, because the flow forced them somewhere unsuitable, but some are alive still, in various places in my tank.

Before it crawls under a rock and dies, consider different placement. Think about lighting and flow...

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very happy and open just wondering about time to attach is all..

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very happy and open just wondering about time to attach is all..

That's half my point, mushrooms are funny, open does not necessarily mean it is happy. Detaching from the rock, implies it is unhappy... It may never reattach, but still open up every day. My advise was essentially to give it a day or so, if it doesn't reattach, try another location in the tank...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is happy, it will attach quickly (inside of 24 hours). It may not like where it is. I have four or five lavalamps in my frag tank, and they are never happy. I assume too much light, as they are always going under the frag plug. One time I had a nice softball size rock full of red mushrooms, it was good for about a year, then one day they all let go, lol. Most died, because the flow forced them somewhere unsuitable, but some are alive still, in various places in my tank.

Before it crawls under a rock and dies, consider different placement. Think about lighting and flow...
Mine occasionally detach float around reattach or parish. I'll look and go oh a new colony in the tank.

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some that start to move of the frag rock they are on but never fully commit. Is there any sense in trying to cut off the part still attached to the frag rock or just wait to see if it happens? (The reason I want him off is because the frag rock isn't stable and might fall)

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some that start to move of the frag rock they are on but never fully commit. Is there any sense in trying to cut off the part still attached to the frag rock or just wait to see if it happens? (The reason I want him off is because the frag rock isn't stable and might fall)

I doubt cutting the mushroom will end well. Although, I have never attempted such a thing. They do need to move side to side to drop babies.

But if the rock is loose, why not just pull it and break the rock up to free the mushroom (or just move the rock)?

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt cutting the mushroom will end well. Although, I have never attempted such a thing. They do need to move side to side to drop babies.

But if the rock is loose, why not just pull it and break the rock up to free the mushroom (or just move the rock)?

I wasn't quite sure how to go about it but if i can break the rock into a smaller part that I can drop into a hole on another rock that would probably be best to get it to stay stable. Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back