Mushrooms Not Attaching

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have about 10 shrooms (mostly jawbreakers) that for one or another reason disconnected from rock/plugs and free-floated away. Now they are in cups and most of them are still not attaching to rock. Any thoughts on why and anything I Can do to rectify?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the cups ? Mine took about a week to attach

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try gluing them down with superglue. You can also use a rubber band to attempt to hold them in place long enough for them to attach, but they're slimy and can often squirm free.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try gluing them down with superglue. You can also use a rubber band to attempt to hold them in place long enough for them to attach, but they're slimy and can often squirm free.
no superglue. They can move around. I consider that like attaching an anenome.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no superglue. They can move around. I consider that like attaching an anenome.
Technically, they are anemones. I've had hit or miss success with superglue. Sometimes, they get pinned down just long enough to attach. Generally, mushrooms tend to be heartier than other anemones.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how are your parameters. High or low key elements can trigger this kinda of survival behavior.

What do you dose and what are your parameters- salinity, alk, cal, mag(First hand experience), iodine, nitrate and phosphate.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are your parameters. High or low key elements can trigger this kinda of survival behavior.

What do you dose and what are your parameters- salinity, alk, cal, mag(First hand experience), iodine, nitrate and phosphate.
I've also seen flow cause them to disconnect and search for a calmer area in the tank. How high of flow do you run in your tank? Have you changed powerheads recently?

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys. I agree on not attaching them with glue/rubber bands. Doesn't work. Foot breaks free of the glue all the time, rubber bands are hit and miss.

They are in cups for weeks, maybe over a month already for some of them.

Parameters:
No3 - 20-30ppm
Po4 - 0.04-0.08 ppm
Salinity - 35ppm
Temp - This is weird, 2 digital thermometers report 78, Cheapo glass thermometer 74
Alk - 7.8
Cal - 380
Mag - Not sure, haven't tested
Iodine - Not sure, haven't tested

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I agree on not attaching them with glue/rubber bands. Doesn't work. Foot breaks free of the glue all the time, rubber bands are hit and miss.

They are in cups for weeks, maybe over a month already for some of them.

Parameters:
No3 - 20-30ppm
Po4 - 0.04-0.08 ppm
Salinity - 35ppm
Temp - This is weird, 2 digital thermometers report 78, Cheapo glass thermometer 74
Alk - 7.8
Cal - 380
Mag - Not sure, haven't tested
Iodine - Not sure, haven't tested
Believe it or not, I've had the best luck with superglue when I only attach a small portion of the foot to the substrate. When I do this, it's as if the mushroom can't exert enough force to break free of the glue like when the entire foot is attached. Maybe that was just dumb luck :)

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Believe it or not, I've had the best luck with superglue when I only attach a small portion of the foot to the substrate. When I do this, it's as if the mushroom can't exert enough force to break free of the glue like when the entire foot is attached. Maybe that was just dumb luck :)

I tried it a few times, only to lose the mushroom in my tank. Don't want to risk that again.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cal is a little low, which means Mag may be off. Trace may be low if you aren't doing water changes.

They detach when they are annoyed. Odds are they have too much of something.. Light, or Flow most likely. A little more po4 won't hurt either, my mushrooms do best at 0.1+, and my SPS are fine with it.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
something is irritating the mushroom. Either water chemistry is off or it is being blasted with high flow or is under high light. It is not normal for them to float away...you need to pick one at a time and rule out. Water chemistry will be the toughest. What are you dosing?

Sam

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flow is not an issue, Gyre 3k at 10% on a 4ft tank. Lights are not too high now, will be higher, 6 month slow acclimation. Dosing 2-part. Water changes every 2 weeks, 20%. I doubt Mag is low as I do dose it occasionally but I'll test this weekend. I also don't think Cal is low for mushrooms, sps maybe, but I only have one SPS mini colony in the tank and it's doing great.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back